WR232Y22 + Smart Card Reader?...

kmz28

This forum is the closest thing I could find to locating a ribbon cable for a Sun MicroSystems smart card reader. Here's the situation, I've got an Internal Smart Card Reader 1, (thats what it says for the model type), with a part number of 370-3933-05 from Sun Microsystems. The method of connection appears to be a serial port, such as "COM2" for example, on a mobo. Only difference is, I noticed my COM2 had only 9 pins and the card reader has 10. What I would like to find out is, do/can I use a serial ribbon cable to connect this to my PC? I found the WR232Y22 on this site, and it appears to be exactly what I need, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I know this is probably trivial, but thanks in advance in anyone has any suggestions

Keith
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
It is common to have a 10 pin header on the motherboard cable to a DB-9 connector. Does the card reader have a "DB-9" connection? Here is pic that shows female and male DB-9 connections:

There are two common numbering schemes for the headers on the motherboard, and they seem to be about equally common.

Our WR232Y23:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/cables/index.html#WR232Y23

should get from either of the common motherboard pinouts to a DB9. You may still need a "gender bender":
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/cables/WR232Y07.jpg
if the sexes of the connectors do not match up.

kmz28

Thanks for the response

Now that I'm looking at what the first post, I think I blew it on the description. I took some really terrible pics with my camera phone, but I hope they can help. What it seems to me is, the connector on the card reader is the same type of connector as found on a mobo. In comparison, think about hooking up a floppy drive, but with serial connectors. I'm just not sure about the connection of the reader. Is it straight thru, are the pins reversed, or what. And is it actually a serial cable for a COM port? Thanks again for all your help.

Keith

Attachments