Windows User Problem

jpsteinmetz

I've noticed an issue with the CrystalFontz software where the program will not function when it is loaded from a non-administrative user. This is problematic since I run my machine as a server, and purposely have a low level user logged in when running my basic server functions. Is there a way around this? or can you fix this issue with the software? Thank you.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jpsteinmetz

The main problem is that the service does not seem to load from other users. CC will attempt to load, but fail to do anything for the LCD. I have played around with permissisions to the CC folder and now I can get it to basically have a connection to the LCD, but all it does is send a blank screen and nothing more.

CF Mark

Administrator
What LCD module is this with?
Is it a 632/634 or a HD4480 LCD?

CrystalControl will only display a blank screen until screens are added.

CF Mark

Administrator
jpsteinmetz said:
Ugh... well that is very odd indeed, as the serial displays are the simplest to drive (no other IO or USB drivers to worry about).

Ah, hang on....
Are you expecting for the settings/screens set up by user to work with another?
CrystalControl is written so that each user has its own CrystalControl settings.

typo

I followed the same steps just now .. new user ... CC didnt start automatically .... once started, after setting the module up ..... it was just a lit blank screen. After adding some screens >> log off >> on ...... works fine.

((same os, cc, device))

jpsteinmetz

well, ironically enough, i re-installed windows for other reasons, and it apparently works now. It must have been something oddly messed up with that installation. But I guess it's still worth noting. The problem was actually with whatever Windows Service CC requires that must be loaded, because it would fail to load everytime and actually give an error. Then the LCD would be blank and have a blinking cursor (how it got a connection is beyond me if the service didn't load properly).

CF Mark

Administrator
jpsteinmetz said:
well, ironically enough, i re-installed windows for other reasons, and it apparently works now. It must have been something oddly messed up with that installation. But I guess it's still worth noting. The problem was actually with whatever Windows Service CC requires that must be loaded, because it would fail to load everytime and actually give an error. Then the LCD would be blank and have a blinking cursor (how it got a connection is beyond me if the service didn't load properly).
Odd.

But as i said above, serial LCDs dont need drivers, so neither the IO driver service or the USB driver should be loaded at all.