which is best, Sony 40V200A or Sharp LC-42BX5M

carlwhile

I now live in Thailand and would like to buy an LCD tv. Having looked at what is available over here I have narrowed it down to these two units.
Trouble is I dont know which is the best one to go for as I have not had one before.(used to have a plasma, but the bright sunlight over here kills the picture with the reflections.)

Does anyone know of any failings for either unit....any common moans, or problems with them that I should consider before buying?
Reliability issues?

In Thailand the warranty is very poor so this is a major factor.
The price for either is about the same here (Sony is about 50-60 pounds more).
Having seen both screens the picture was great, but the shops run them on high grade computor gen. pics. so it is misleading.

I will mainly be playing dvd's and connected to sat. tv (plus pos. x-box and blu-ray when I can find any here.) Thailand does not have hdtv, nor is likely to in the next 5-6 years.
Any help or observations would be very welcome, even if you think I should consider another make of LCD.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

LCDs have worse contrast ratio than plasma screens, so I think they would be even worse in bright sunlight than plasma.

carlwhile

Plasma glass screens reflect the light more, so lcd's without their reflective screens (matt) look will be better, it is just finding the best option in lcd within a budget.
But thanks for your input.