Variable Brightness


New member
A while back I remember seeing an IC that will output different voltages depending on the data it receives.

It works much like a voltage regulator except that it is also connected to a microchip's data lines to control the voltage.

Does anybody know what this device is called? Or where can I get one?

Thanks in Advance
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Two ways I know of off hand:

DAC = digital to analog converter

PWM + LPF = pusle width modulator + low pass filter

First one is accurate and quiet, second one is cheap.


New member
Thanks for your reply.

After looking through some datasheets on the IC I'm using, I would technically be able to use the DAC on the IC, providing that it provides enough power.

So hopefully, this will work as I want it too.


New member
Don't draw too much current though!
Wire it up to a adjustable voltage regulator (like the LM317) if you plan on driving higher current draws.

-special [k]