"Transparent" LCD?

blooflame

This product uses a "transparent" LCD:

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/larger_image_popup.asp?image_file=399923

I'm not a big-time hardware hacker, but I'd like to find an LCD kit with an LCD like this. Is this just a normal LCD with some reflector removed from the back? It definitely is not backlit :)!

My ideal would be an LCD kit with a graphic LCD that I could mount in a frame, and control via some microcontroller or through USB attachment to my PC; this would be used for "standalone" displays.. Any ideas?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

blooflame

Removing the reflector?

Do you mean removing the reflector from a CFAX LCD? Is it bonded on? Painted on? Embedded between glass layers? How would it be remvoed?

CF Tech

Administrator
It is possible for the polarizers to be removed from a CFAX series display. Touchy and risky, but possible. You basically lift a corner with an X-acto knife and peel them back.

You would have to remove the rear transflective polarizer and reinstall a rear transmissive polarizer.

daks001

CF Tech said:
It is possible for the polarizers to be removed from a CFAX series display. Touchy and risky, but possible. You basically lift a corner with an X-acto knife and peel them back.

You would have to remove the rear transflective polarizer and reinstall a rear transmissive polarizer.
A clear display would look Amazing mounted on the side window of a computer case or as part of any clear cover! The "modders" would go ape!

blooflame

Reinstalling a transmissive polarizer

CF Tech said:
Is it possible for "mere" hobbyists to get just a polarizer, or am I going to have to buy another LCD for one?

By the way, and for everyone's info - I went in the store and checked out the product, it appears to be a non-graphic LCD, using custom segments and/or preformed images.