Speedometer for Cars

Erico

Hi.Im doing a research on the net about custom speedometer gauges.I want to built one for my car.And no clue how to do it.Im a completely newbie on lcd world , so i can be being silly..here we go:

Its possible catch the abs signal for speed measurement?
Its possible to do a graphic tach using crystalfontz?
My opinion is everything which has measured by resistors can be displayed on LCD.Am i wrong?
Is this project possible?

Best regards from Brazil
Erico
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

firstrax

There are two ways of doing this. Both methods assume you are proficient with microcontrollers.

1) Tap the VSS line. This line will output a pulse from the transmission. Pulses per second vary with speed. Set up a micro to act as a pulse counter and translate that into a speed. This method will require calibration to your specific vehicle. Cruise controls work of the VSS line so reading the install manual for an aftermarket cruise control will be very helpful.

2) If your car is 1996 or newer you can read the diagnostics port. The parameter ID for speed is 0Dh. The returned speed will be a single data byte representing the vehicles speed in KPH (decimal). If you go this route you will be able to read a lot of other useful information as well.

I just built up an lcd interface for my cars computer. I'll post some pictures soon.

Erico

thank your firstreax.Im not close to microcontrolers, although a friend of mine has some knowledgement.Ill b ewaitin for the pics
=)

More tips ppl??

firstrax

Here ya go. Its not quite production ready but close enough to sneak you a few pics. This shows only a few of the available data displays. The module will also display any trouble codes and clear them and your check engine light with a push of a button.

Confession time. That's not a Crystalfontz LCD. I started this project before I found Crystalfontz. But I'm leaning towards the PLED Modules.

Erico

Three words.... OH MY GOD!!!

Thats exactly what im planning to do!!!!

I hope u made this for an opel calibra...heheheheh..joking...

Lets keep in touch , if you have some links , plz feel free to send it over..i have a lot to learn..

Regards,
Erico

patR1

Erico, That is some serious modifications there! Back to the future dash board!
Crazy stuff I admire the work!