Prototype External Housing for 634

DAK21

Hey Guys,

I have built a prototype external housing for the CrystalFontz 634 LCD. I am thinking about manufacturing them for resale if there is enough interest.

I really like not taking up two drive bays, not having to open my case door, and being able to position it anywhere I want with a little velcro strip on the bottom.

My guess is that since they will be hand built in the Good Ol' USA by yours truely, they would have to cost about $50 to be worth my effort.

I am curious if there would be any interest out there for such a product..... or any other custom sheet metal PC work.

Here are a couple Pix.....
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Attachments

DAK21

I used a nice thick red rubber gasket to prevent the two nuts the hold the serial connection in place from touching the housing.

It is fabbed out of Heavy gage Aluminum... but I think I could use many different materials.

Thanks for your input!
DAK21

CF Tech

Administrator
Very nice job. Touch up the welds on the grinder, grain it with the time saver, a bit of powder coat or anodizing and that would look really super - slick.

Something that might work well to dress up the front would be to put one of our standard adhesive overlays on it, trimmed to fit.

DAK21

Thanks.

Like I said, it is a prototype. There are all kinds of little things I could do to pretty them up. I would probably use steel if I was going to make a bunch of them. Cut out a template and bend them so that there are only welds along the top and bottom. Then a nice coat of enamel.... and decal to top it off.

DAK21

CF Tech

Administrator
Well, it look's pretty darn good for a prototype.

By the way, where are you located? I am wondering which timezone it is "December" in :D

Drakxter

lol... Everyone else is looking at the LCD box, but you CF Tech look at his calendar :D

Anyway, nice work DAK21, still a prototype as you say your self, so it needs work to get that final super look.

You should make a post prototype :D version of it and show us some pictures of that.. ;)

Heffo

CF Tech said:
Very nice job. Touch up the welds on the grinder, grain it with the time saver, a bit of powder coat or anodizing and that would look really super - slick.
If by time saver, you mean a sanding machine made by the 'Time Saver Corporation' you can keep that idea.

Where I work, I use a Time Saver belt sanding machine to do the initial surface lapping on the upper and lower half of a valve body for automatic transmissions. And those machines are nothing but a bunch of useless, extremly dirty, and unreliable crap :mad:

Nothing personal, I just cant stand those machines :D
especially when the belt breaks and I gotta climb in to change it