No logical disk option

adamd

Hi

I have a 634 LCD and am running Windows 2000. However, I don't see the "logical disk" option under "performance info". I tried reinstalling the program but this option still doesn't show up.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Its a windows thing... supporting it has nothing to do with CrystalControl.

The only way to get it is to upgrade to WinXP.

cp10932

This is unfortunate ... Going from Win2k to WinXP isn't what I call an *upgrade*. XP is, at best, on par with Win2k in many respect.

cp10932

Win2k is industry-grade; it's widely used in mission critical deployment. 2-3 years in the field makes it very stable and reliable. XP is a home-PC version of Win2k and is not tested by major server OEMs. Given that it's so *new*, it's more buggy and less well supported (especially drivers) than Win2k. It does have some nice features and the new UI is nice. But, as far as stability and reliability goes, it's still not an *upgrade*.

PaNiC

Guess this thread has turned in to an OS discussion. Well, XP is VERY similar to w2k. Another UI as you say and so on. But for stability i can promise you that it is at LEAST just as stable as w2k. Also, most w2k drivers also work in XP. And most hardware manufacturers have made xp-drivers for their equipment, if not. XP has a wide driver-database so you'll usually find the driver you are looking for there. What kind of special hardware do you have?
i installed XP for a friend and it even found his el cheapo no name modem! Absolutely no problems there. I run xp on both my "normal" can and my laptop. The laptop is an AST from 97 with a graphics chip that can really go "something" itself. No probems. It's not my meaning to prove that i'm 1337 or something else. I just want to kill the myth that XP is a playground-OS.. (Yeah i hate M$ just as much as anyone else but how much of a choice do we really have?) Thank you for reading this filth and i appreciate comments (WISE comments. No 3-year-old stuff)

cp10932

Don't really mean to make this *yet another OS debate*. All I was saying was that feature and, in most cases, stability wise, WinXP is ON PAR (see ... not inferior) with Win2k. If something is just ON PAR, I won't spend the money to upgrade to it. Win2k's stability/reliability has been improved by Microsoft and partners over the past 2 years by tons of testings and bug fixes. Obviously, many of these improvements have made their way to XP. But, as far as I know, no major server OEM plans to deploy XP in mission critical environment. Not that my home environment is mission critical and I can definitely live with XP, but, come back to my point about what constitute an upgrade ... I still don't consider XP as an upgrade to Win2k. Enough said on this ... on with my new LCDs ...

CF Tech

Administrator
cp10932 said:
Win2k is industry-grade; it's widely used in mission critical deployment.
Hah... you would have said the same thing about NT4 shortly after Win2k came out.

As for misson critical... if you want it you run UNIX, not WinNT.

cp10932

I never did have NT4; I had Win98. At that time, my upgrade path 2 years ago was pretty straight forward; Win2k.

I agree that UNIX is much more reliable and secure than Win2k (or anything that Microsoft can put out). But IT IS used in many mission critical environment. UNIX wouldn't be my choice for a home use OS because it's too geeky, not much home apps (no Crystalfontz, too!!) to talk about, and it's just not as *user friendly*.

Everyone's situation is different. Mine just doesn't point in the direction of paying Microsoft another $99 annuity to move from Win2k to XP.

Jester^

cp10932 said:
UNIX ... (no Crystalfontz, too!!)
Perhaps you meant to say no CrystalControl rather than no Crystalfontz. My new 634 is happily displaying a plethora of information gleaned from a variety of servers around our network, including a few lonely WinXX machines. It is, of course, installed in a *nix box.

Best,

J

Last edited: