New 635 w/ SCAB w/ Y14 cable.......

Andypandy

Hi, i need a little guidance with setting this equipment up. I ordered the 635, SCAB and Y14 cable all together at the same time and i want to set it up on my Linux machine.

The first thing i want to enable is ATX power
on/off & reset. Unfortunately i'm a bit challenged when it comes to even connecting this thing up.

The SCAB is preconnected to the 635 with a short cable and i think the J8 and J9 jumpers
on the SCAB are preset properly for ATX power control.

So, am i correct in assuming i need to connect
the USB cable to back of 635 and the Y14 cable to J8 on SCAB?....just those two cables yes?

Thx for any help.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Andypandy

...ok, i assume what i've hooked up above is right. So far i'm just trying to get the thing detected in WinXP....i got the drivers installed.
WinXP seems happy with the 2 new devices.
Now i've installed 635_test. I would assume
i have to set something up in the 635 via this lttle
software? So far i can control backlight & the bank of 4 status lights but i can't get anyhting from 635_test to write to screen. The only time any text shows up is when i press 'checkmark'....then a Xtal-fontz splash screen shows up momentarily.

CF Tech

Administrator
On the SCAB, you would want to use a WRPWRY14 connected to J8. You should open JP8 and close JP9 on the SCAB.

On the CFA-635, you will want to open JP2.

You will then connect the WRPWRY14 to the PC, and use the packet debugger of 635_WinTest to send Command 28 to configure the ATX and then use Command 4 to make it permanent.

Andypandy

...i appreciate the reply, thx.

I did a quick inspection of SCAB before i installed in bay and JP8 was unsoldered
while JP9 was...i didn't check JP2...i would assume the factory did this as well since i bought all three together at once? I could pull it and double check.

Obviously the USB connection goes to back of
635 too right? (i know, dumb question) I'm using
a mobo usb header.....but should i connect all four pins or just the two data and leave usb power ones disconnected or does it matter.

I'm getting comms via 635_test, like the 635 sends packets back, but other then backlight control, i can't get any text to show via 635_test.

ATX controls via command 28, is there a summary of what common config to try somewhere, i assume the default has to be tweaked somehow.

Btw i'm using a 3pin wake-on-USB header for the stanby 5vdc.

Andypandy

...gotcha, thx. I was able to get some ATX functionality going by running command 28
with \212\032. Now the 'check' key will power the PC on and off each time with a simple short press. However, if i try \244\032 the 'X' button will
not work to shut machine down and hence reset
won't work either....\246\032 will not alter config
either.....only the 'check' key as a simple quick on and off remains, i can't seem to change this config now. Evrerytime i make a change to '28' i follow it up with command 4. Am i missing a step?......incidentally the display will not light up when i power on/off ATX, neither will keys....

CF Tech

Administrator
Do you have the floppy power cable connected? The CFA-635 + SCAB uses that to detect if the system is on. Right now it thinks yours is always off.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

Andypandy

..thx for the help. No, i only have two cables connected:

i) the Y14 cable to 'power/reset' header and to WO-Usb for 5vdc standby

ii) 635 is also connected to USB header on mobo

....so the floppy power connecter goes to SCAB too?

CF Tech

Administrator
It needs the floppy connector to detect the PC's state. If the floppy connector has 5v on it, the LCD assumes the PC is on.

Andypandy

...thx i guess it would help if i connected everything properly :) . Now with \244 everything seems to work properly with 'check' and 'x' with a
little message on the lcd as well, cool.

Andypandy

.......me too. I ended up having to can the whole idea of using the WO-USB header pins, for some reason doing so was causing 2 out of 4 usb ports on my backpanel to disappear, strange. I just ended up going direct off ATX cable...maybe i shoulda did that from the start.