Looking for rFactor Plug-in

RacerAlex

I've been tracking this thread over at Race Sim Central. I've finally ordered a CrystalFontz USB LCD and I'm trying to track down the creator of this plug-in. Can anyone here help?

Thanks in advance!

Quote from Race Sim Central Forums:

Support for CrystalControl2 is all done! :leet:
Not public yet, but ill give the necessary plugin files to anyone who wants to get it going now.

Quick Photo:

Here is a couple of examples videos with rFactor and two Crystalfontz 634 units:

V8s, Adel. LCDs are showing Car Info & Lap/Race Info.
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/temp/rfactor/rf-cc2-adel.avi

HRC, Pikes Peak. LCDs are showing Car Info & Steering Wheel input info (in order, RPM, steering-wheel angle, accel pedal pos, brake pedal pos).
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/temp/rfactor/rf-cc2-pikes.avi

CrystalControl2 can display any of the 41 available rFactor data to any number of LCDs.
All easily setup using the screen editor.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
That would be me... :)

The 3 plugin files are attached.
The "rFactorCC2Plugin.dll" goes in your rFactor plugin directory.
The other two, go in with the rest of your CC2 plugins.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Attachments

RacerAlex

Cheers mate!

I've got alot of my league members interested in this and I'm the guinea pig. I'm sure it's going to work out smoothly. The CrystalControl2 software was very intuitive.

Last edited:

RacerAlex

I'm having some issue with the ZIP file. It's returning a corruption error message when using WinZIP. Using the 'repair' tool in winRAR, I was able view it and to extract the cc2_rFactor.dll, but the rFactorCC2Plugin.dll was corrupt and there wasn't a third file in the package.

Also, there's been a few others interested over in the RSC thread recently. It might be good to pop in there with info (or direct them here) as this is a very well done product and I'm sure others will find interest in it once more people try it out.

jc634

Administrator
Do NOT d/l from IE. Use Firefox or another browser to d/l. Or d/l and use 7-zip, as this is usually what CCadmin uses to create zip files, IIRC.

reider

I just downloaded the same files from Firefox and extracted with Winzip. No problems whatsoever, as JC says its often ie that is the problem with the downloads. This has been going on some time with certain sites.

Firefox here

Reider

RacerAlex

@ Reider: Thanks for confirmation that the file is intact! Got it now. :D

@ CCAdmin: So once I confirm all is well and things work properly, is it ok if I make these plug-ins available in the RaceSimCentral thread?

CF Tech

Administrator
So, I am trying to look at those AVI files, and WMP complains that it can't find the codec. Is there a specific codec needed? Is there a link for downloading the codec?

RacerAlex

Well call me a rookie CrystalFontz user, but I'm at a loss. :confused: I've extracted the dll's (one into rFactor's plugins folder, the other two into "Programs Files/CrystalControl") and I've yet to see any rFactor data under available information in the CC2 screen configuration page. Am I missing a something? I've been seaching the forums for the past hour and can't seem to find anything to help get me any further along.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and and I apologize in advance for being a PITA. ;)

reider

I`m running Vista here, I pasted the rFactorCC2Plugin.dll into the C:\Program Files\CrystalControl2\extras\rfactor folder. I then pasted the other two into C:\Program Files\CrystalControl2 with CC2 temporarily stopped......

I then restarted CC2 and there were available items in the Rfactor category to place into a screen. I did not test further as I no longer have rfactor installed. Though I do have the disk here. There are two CC2 files, you have to ensure you paste the correct one into the rfactor folder, as stated by admin and shown above.

My version of CC2 is a test version with the rFactor plugin included. However, I took a chance and pasted the supplied files over the top of the existing ones to replace them. This should make it equal to yours and have the same liabilities when it comes to working or not.

Reider

Last edited:

reider

So, I am trying to look at those AVI files, and WMP complains that it can't find the codec. Is there a specific codec needed? Is there a link for downloading the codec?
Convert it from .avi to .wmv and it will work...... ;)

Reider

CF Tech

Administrator
Sigh. Fair warning: Rhetorical questions ahead.

1) Why would CC Admin post an AVI with a codec not supported by MS WMP?

2) Why would some software (that CC Admin used) output an AVI that MS WMP can't understand?

3) Why would whoever it is that made the codec not make it available to MS WMP?

I guess I'll try a converter.

4) Why would a converter know how to handle this AVI, when MS WMP can't.

Heffo

It's all a matter of codecs. I have the FFDShow codec pack installed and the videos play fine for me in WMP, Winamp, VirtualDub, pretty much any windows media playing app.

reider

AVI`s can be made with two slightly different media types (actually theirs more than two but two in particular are mentioned), one is the older codec that causes the problem and the other is the newer more acceptable format. So, at one time the AVI would have worked, now in the modern world we all know and love it will not-cos they`re always moving the goalposts. I always have a really early version of media changer devised to use in DOS. I could modernise it but have grown quite attached to it, using it in a DOS window. Now, if I could just find where I put it ;)

The codec is just a compressor/decompressor so nothing mind blowing, just that they have to keep damn changing things. If you have the codec that reads the format then it works. If you don`t, then you first have to diagnose which codec you need, then locate it, then install it. Or install the pack that Heffo mentions. Sometimes its just easier and quicker to change the format to something else. MS don`t include the codec because their are so many variants.

Reider

Last edited:

RacerAlex

Just a quick thanks to reider for the help. rFactor itself has a plugin folder for external hardware plugins and so I naturally assumed that was the rFactor/plugin directory to be used. Once that was squared away things progressed rapidly. The LCD is up and working and its everything I had hoped it would be. Its a very cool hardware option for us sim-racers!

Two follow-up/feature requests:

1. Can the plug-in in the future have more Imperial options for fuel, water, and oil temperatures?

2. Is it possible to to use unique characters and make a bar graph-style tachometer (in this case, just using solid character blocks that would progress from left to right as rpm's climbed)?

Thanks again for everyone's help! :D

Last edited: