Large LCD segment: where to buy

kalustal

Hi

I would like to build a cheap display to show information available on a sailing boat.
Specialized companies are selling these things for a very very high price...
What I would need would be a simple 7 segments 3/4 digits LCD module, with char height of 100mm, backlight, negative, and low power?
Where could I find it?

Here is a picture of a high end product, selling for more than $1000!

Thanks in advance,

Jerome
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Attachments

You could use a graphic display, and make some large font characters for the numbers. That would require a lot of programming on your part, though.

kalustal

Thanks for that suggestion, but it will be difficult and costly... Isn't there any body who have an idea on that?

CF Tech

Administrator
I would agree with cosmicvoid, you are going to send a lot of work and time on other parts of the project, why skimp on the LCD? Graphic LCDs give you much better flexibility. Segment LCDs are used for one reason -- cheap in high volume.

But in any case, you can get something like this:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=153-1016-ND

(that is just one example, they have many variants)

Attachments

kalustal

Yes, I fully agree with that, segment lcd displays should be cheap when they are produced in long standard runs. And what I'm looking for is just a large (digit height 70 to 100mm) 4 digit 7 segment lcd module! I could even pay something like 50$ on it... I just need to find one !! Then the electronics and box for it should be quite simple, and yield something working for one 10th of the price of high end products! I am even pretty sure that there might be a quite nice market for such things, apart from my DIY project...
Thanks
Jerome

kalustal

For the $100 graphic LCD, does it have a high contrast ?

Otherwise, I also like the idea of using a large clock lcd... I will work on it!
Thanks