Kaypro luggable computer project.

Pangloss

I am building a PC in an old Kaypro 10 computer box, image:

http://www.gaby.de/kay10.jpg

It looks like I am going to be able to fit two PCs in there, or maybe one with a dual head or LCD controller + VGA card.

The small window in the front is my main problem. It measures 8.5" wide and 6.5" tall. The only LCDs I can find this size are dual scan. I would love to perhaps run linux on the second machine, and have nothing but text on this small monitor. As for the main machine, it will use a 17 inch LCD monitor that flips up out of the top of the unit.

Is there a character LCD the size of the 8 inch hole? Should I pay 140 bucks for a DSTN that size + controller card (crap sluggish video card).

The reason I am building this is because I hate laptops. I dont need to be held down by a battery. I would like to be able to carry my computer onto an air plane, then have a dual 2ghz AMD with SCSI 10k drives when I get there. Or a 1ghz machine and slower render server in the same box (and theres room for a hub).

Any help would be appreciated,

CE
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

rschissler

Although I may not be offering you the help you need, I just have to comment.

I can see building it just because of the challenge of it, and because of the uniqueness to it, but I don't see how it could be better than a modern laptop. You do say you are building it because you hate laptops. But, a laptop can plug into an AC outlet for power, and with the battery you can use it on the airplane. You sure won't be able to use that Kaypro system on an airplane, and of course it will be a quite a load to lug around, compared to a laptop. The new Centrino chips offer much improved power and battery life.

Good luck as I would be impressed if you got your Kaypro project working the way you want.

--Randy S.

Last edited:

Pangloss

no way..

Man, laptops utilize 4200 rpm HDs. I have room to put two RAIDed 37GB 10k SCSI HDs in here. Not to mention a GOOD 3D video card. Couple that with a modular system that is based on standards and parts I can swap out for cheap. I sleep on air planes, I just want a good computer when I get where I'm goin. Laptops suck because they are built to run off a battery, everything I use needs Power, hell this thing has a 430 watt PS.

timid1

Re: no way..

Pangloss said:
Man, laptops utilize 4200 rpm HDs. I have room to put two RAIDed 37GB 10k SCSI HDs in here. Not to mention a GOOD 3D video card. Couple that with a modular system that is based on standards and parts I can swap out for cheap. I sleep on air planes, I just want a good computer when I get where I'm goin. Laptops suck because they are built to run off a battery, everything I use needs Power, hell this thing has a 430 watt PS.
There are 7200 RPM hard drives out there right now, and there are GOOD 3D Video cards on laptops as well. I HIGHLY doubt that you are a gamer, but I'll run with the idea that you are since you want a high end video card. Did you know about Dell or Alienware? Dell's high end laptops have some of the best graphics cards on the market. And if you're a true gamer then you probably already know about Alienware laptops. They're all built to run off of batteries, but they all easily get upwards of 5-6 hours depending on your configuration.

Your logic makes no sense. That Kaypro will sit and rot on your desk because it's going to be so **** heavy you won't be able to take it anywhere. Good luck getting it onto planes. You can't compare Dell or Alienware to those $1500-$2500 laptops that you see at your local COmpUSA/Fry's.