Instructions in getting CC2 to work in Vista

jc634

Administrator
Instructions to get CC2 to work in Vista

Attached is a zip containing detailed instructions on how I got CC2 working in Vista (32-bit only).

The only thing that I cannot do is restart CC2 from the config program. Please read thru and try it. If something does not make sense, post here and I'll try to elaborate. If it does work, do the same.

Please note that I am using the latest USB drivers (see previous post). To me, they have been more stable than the official CF drivers.

And once again, if you have any questions, a good experience, a bad experince, etc., let me know in this thread.

Jim

http://www.crystalfontz.com/backlight/forum/userscreen/75/Installing_CC2_in_Vista.zip

Edit: One thing I forgot. Do NOT enable the Dim LCDs on User Idle. The CC2_Service cannot sense when the keyboard/mouse is used, so once the displays dim, they stay dimmed until you restart the service.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

armoredcars

CC2 :) Not being able to recognize the icons on your desktop :( CC2 :mad:

When I first installed CC2 it worked, the only problems is I wasn't able to find any of the monitor stuff that I had in XP to create my own screens. CPU usage, available hard drive space, and system uptime is my greatest concern. System uptime showed up, but claimed my computer had been running for a little over a trillion days.

So I did what I could for the time being and then restarted my computer because of the whole Vista-CC2 restart thing. Now my display (monitor display) goes NUTS whenever CC2 starts up and I have to terminate the service from the task manager.

jc634

Administrator
Based on your post, I cannot begin to figure out what is wrong.

Questions:

1. Which USB drivers are you using?
2. Which version of CC2 are you using?
3. Did you use the attached to install CC2?

Comments:

1. I have no idea why you cannot find screens to load. Sounds like a incomplete install.
2. I have never heard of CC2 causing problems with a monitor. I'm very confused about this.

I will try to help, but I need more detailed info on what is happening..

Jim

jc634

Administrator
I have 2 items I need to add to the doc file:

1. From my edited 1st post; Do NOT enable the Dim LCDs on User Idle. The CC2_Service cannot sense when the keyboard/mouse is used, so once the displays dim, they stay dimmed until you restart the service (or Windows). I cannot remember which.

2. In order to be able to add/delete/modify screens and modules, you will need to give the config program administrative rights. Right click on the file: properties: Compatibility: Check the Privledge Level box to allow the config program to "run this program as an administrator".

The minor unfortunate effect of 2. is when you start Windows, Vista will block execution of program until you tell Vista that it is OK to run.

Cerebus

I've managed to get this partly working by using services.msc to manually restart CC2Service,
so I can set up screens, etc., but cc2_config cannot seem to see the service and isn't picking up the
temp sensors, which means I cannot use the automatic fan control.

Any ideas?

I am running the FTDI USB drivers and the latest CC2.

Cheers

Cerebus

CF Mark

Administrator
Well ive got a new PC and Vista installed, but VisualStudio doesnt work properly on Vista so i cant work on making CC2 Vista compatible.
Ive been trying for 2 weeks now to get VS working with no luck, with no fix in sight.

:mad: at Microsoft

jc634

Administrator
Well ive got a new PC and Vista installed, but VisualStudio doesnt work properly on Vista so i cant work on making CC2 Vista compatible.
Ive been trying for 2 weeks now to get VS working with no luck, with no fix in sight.

:mad: at Microsoft
:rolleyes:

I think it is kinda funny that MS's own software does not work with Vista. What does that tell ya???

jc634

Administrator
I've managed to get this partly working by using services.msc to manually restart CC2Service,
so I can set up screens, etc., but cc2_config cannot seem to see the service and isn't picking up the
temp sensors, which means I cannot use the automatic fan control.

Any ideas?

I am running the FTDI USB drivers and the latest CC2.

Cheers

Cerebus
hmm. I started my Vista version of CC2 with my original ini files from my XP install. I did not realize that temp sensors/fan control would be a problem starting from scratch. My bad...:eek:

I can see my temp sensors (they say they are unassigned). I can modify the auto-temp sensors, etc. Other than that, I can not help you in this particular situation. Sorry. Hopefully, CCadmin can modify the CC2 code in a timely manner (assuming he gets his compiler to work properly), so that CC2 can work completely in Vista.

Jim

CF Mark

Administrator
Things are looking better...

I now have VS compiling CC2 properly and am making progress with cc2_service and cc2_config talking to each other.
Shouldnt be long before a Vista friendly version is up :)

jevans64

:rolleyes:

I think it is kinda funny that MS's own software does not work with Vista. What does that tell ya???
That Vista is just one big pile of crap that Microsoft sprayed some perfume on. :lol

And. Yes. I bought a copy of Vista Unlimited. :(

I am confident that you guys will get everything working right so I can FINALLY use my CFA-635 with Vista.

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Well you can get the service working if you play around with it enough . . . so at least you can get something displayed.

I've been in the US for the last 3 weeks, hence the lack of progress.

I'm back home next week though, so hopefully I'll get a compatible version out in the next week or so.

CF Mark

Administrator
Yup... Vista changes are almost done, along with a couple of bug fixes.
Hopefully a new ver will be up sometime this week.

CF Mark

Administrator
Sorry guys, there will be a delay.
Ive had a bad cold for the last few days which has really slowed down finding the WMI leak... im almost running out of ideas on this problem :(

anhil

Well - the days are getting longer down under and the winter is slowly but surely fading away. Hope you have properly recovered from the flu and are ready to tame the nasty Vista. May the force be with ya :)

jbober

New CC2 and Vista sleep issue?

I installed the new CC2 last night under Vista x64, followed the procedure in the the "Avoiding UAC problems (Guide)" thread to the letter, ported over my .ini files, and it all works just fine, except for one thing. When the system is put to sleep my 635 freezes with the last display presented, and when the system is subsequently reawakened the 635 hangs and it requires a reboot to get it back up again.

Under XP-64 this does not happen. When the system goes to sleep the 635 reverts to the boot screen, and when the system is subsequently reawakened CC2 continues on with the configured screen sequence.

Any ideas?

Jim