Information required for DM016Z LCD Module backlight

tim

I have a DM016Z 16x2 LCD module with backlight. The only problem I am having is that I dont know if the backlight is LED, EL, CCFL etc. Is there a way to identify the type of backlight used on this module?

Thanks,
- Tim.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
If you can post some clear pics of the top and bottom sides of the right and left ends of the LCD, we can probably make a good guess.

CF Tech

Administrator
My best guess is that that it is an LED backlight. Try putting a 50 ohm resistor in series with the backlight, then connect it to 5v. (so it goes +5v, in to the resistor, out of the resistor, into the red lead of the backlight, out of the white lead of the backlight to ground)

If I am right the backlight will come on very dim. A 16 ohm (or close) resistor should make for 50mA (brighter) which should be OK for most backlights.

This is all just guessing though. It would be much safer to get the data sheet.

tim

Turns out it is an LED backlight. One of the wires had broken but was still held in place by some glue intended as strain relief. Once I fixed that the backlight worked. If anyone has a datasheet for this LCD module I would greatly appreciate a copy.

Thanks,
- Tim.