Disable splash screen?

Chuki

is there a way or an option I can disable the splash screen? Or am I to dumb to see it?

If not can we have an option to disable in a future release?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Kevin

It would be nice to have an option to disable the splash screen for when the computer is started. I dont mind the splash screen to show when I manually start the program, but it would be nice to not have a spalsh screen when the program is loading in the task bar.

CF Mark

Administrator
CrystalControl is freeware supplied by CrystalFontz.
As such, CC is kind of an advertisment for CrystalFontz, and the splash screen is part of that.

Sorry... it stays.
The price you pay for the software being free.

nerk01

Advertisement? In my own home? A single male living in SW Nebraska who has no visitors but my GF?

No offense I can see the marketing standpoint, but I'd doubt any marketing is being made with that splashscreen. Going on the limb I bet the LCD itself is doing more advertising than the splashscreen is. I'd be willingly to pay $10 for registration for extra features like the option to get rid of the splashscreen. Considering CC is the best program in my mind and its still being worked on.

Chuki

What about those of us who actually own a Crystal Fontz LCD Display? After shipping my 633 was a $110.

Maybe you can shorten how long it's displayed? I don't mind splash screens, but my lil amd with a 430mhz fsb :D is quite fast in the bootup process. I don't really mind a splash screen, I have one thats displayed when rage3d tweak starts, but it mearly just blinks on my screen. Maybe you could have it displayed just until it's fully loaded?

I do see the advertisment standpoint, but in order to get your advertisement displayed you need to reboot the machine, or quit and reload crystalcontrol... The lcd display has done way more advertising. Most people ask me where why I got this CrystalFonz LCD. I say crystalfontz.com.

I didn't mean to get anything going at all, and apologize if I did. Just when I boot my computer I want to get to work right away, and I hafta wait for CF splash to get dissapear.

Its still an awesome program, and I will continue to use it.

CF Tech

Administrator
Other programs can continue to load during the time that the splash screen is being displayed--CrystalControl it does not "hang" the computer during the time splash screen is displayed, so it should not impact boot time to a noticeable degree.

I do not know if it is so much of an advertisement (well, if you have $3 LCD from EIO then it is :) ) but rather just notice that a program is loading, and this is who wrote it. That might actually be handy one day if you are trying to clean out the system tray.

We are not planning (ever) to charge for CrystalControl, but it will have a splash screen for the foreseeable future.

Chuki

How bout you move the splash screen from windows over to the LCD?? :D

It doesn't hang the computer at all, just when I go to open a program the dialog is usually in the center and the crystalfontz splash covers it up for a little bit.

It's all good though, I was just simply inquiring if it could be turned on or off.

I would like to see it show up on the lcd display though that would be cool.

Maybe even a load status

Line: Crystal Control
line2: Loading ....

etc...

That would show us that the program is actually functioning and working exactly how it sposed to

pHaestus

booting computer?

Why would you see this more than once or twice a month anyway? Get a better OS and reboot less often :)

Chuki

Re: booting computer?

pHaestus said:
Why would you see this more than once or twice a month anyway? Get a better OS and reboot less often :)
I run WinXP Pro, and I'm constantly testing new hardware in my system.

OregonLAN

I agree!

The Windows splash screen on startup should have an option or command switch to disable it. This is an eyesore on my HTPC.

BrianC0000

Ungrateful...

Sincerely guys (and gals) are you completely serious with this thread??!? These guys develop this software for FREE - is it really THAT big a deal to see a splash screen for 2 seconds when you reboot?? Here's an idea... turn on your machine, and walk away for a few minutes... there... no more splash screen!

e-existence

Its not so ungrateful to ask for the ability to disable a splash screen. Both Winamp and MBM5 provide the ability to disable their splash screens.

If the ability to disable the splash screen requires me to purchase the software I am more than willing to pay that price (particularly this fine application)

I would devote more time to this argument (its something that I feel fairly strong about) but the computer that I am using CC on doesn’t even have a monitor (hence the reason for the LCD readout.) so at this point it really doesn’t make that much of a difference to me.

This software is great as is… and everything that I read says its only going to get better…

kcwiro

Guys come on... I side with the programers on this one. I reboot my computer once every few days... and I don't mind seeing the splash screen at all; people notice it along with my display at lans and when I am asked if it bothers me at all I say ' no, why should it, I mean I have to see the windows XP OS and I pay for that and Can't shut that off; I'm used to it and nor do I care if it is there or not.

This thing is free and it works great for my LCD that I would have probably removed for the extra 2 5.25" slots if the software haven't come out. =) So why don't we jsut swallow it and not worry about seeing an innocent pop-up for an excelent product :)
I mean it is better than spam banners that some sites have *cough* ;-P

Nice product..give them a break, I woudl like to see this program be further improved and not have to worry about something as little and non- troubling as this.

-KC

Kevin

If you bothered to read all the posts youll see that the ones that asked to have the splash screen removed, were willing to PAY for a version that didnt have a splash screen. It may not bother you, however it bothers some of us.

Last edited:

JimK

I too would gladly pay a reasonable fee (say, 5-10 bucks) to disable the splash and maybe get one or two "bonus" features.

The advertising argument is specious...who are you advertising to? We already have the software, and most of us have CF LCDs, I imagine.

That's like running ads for this week's episode of "Friends" while this week's episode of "Friends" is on. Not really reaching a new audience there...

CF Mark

Administrator
JimK said:
The advertising argument is specious...who are you advertising to? We already have the software, and most of us have CF LCDs, I imagine.
Ah, but this is the point.
90% of poeple using CC probably dont have a Crystalfontz LCD.

JimK

Valid point! :)

I had a major problem, however. I've been having crashes all day, and a lockup occurred when I was almost loaded into XP. an error message came up under the CC splash, and everything waited for me to OK it. I could not.

If you insist on having the splash, you need to make it draggable, or if possible have it splash anywhere but the dead center of the screen. There are going to be, and probably already are, cases where your splash prevents someone from using their machine, and that will only get you a bad reputation, regardless of the great product you guys have here.

(See how I sucked up at the end? I <3 Crystalfontz!) ;)

I definitely understand your point about non CF LCD owners using the software. You should get the screen real estate if they're using your software, but you have to find a way to make it less obstructionist. I specifically didn't use the word obtrusive, BTW, because for me it wasn't obtrusive, it literally blocked function.

Last edited: