CFAH1602D-YTI-ET questions

thoffman1986

I amd working with this LCD character display for a class project and was wondering if it was possible to test this LCD manually without a microcontroller. whatever i have tried thus far has not worked and is causing me to worry about the product itself. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

There is no way to test LCD displays without using a control cpu. You have to have some way to send initialization commands and data to display. Without that, you will only get a row of black cells upon power-up, which doesn't prove the display is capable of working.

thoffman1986

Thanks, It helps to know that it probably will work with a microcontroller, i'll just keep working to get the MC running so i can test it asap

Thanks again for the info

CF Tech

Administrator
Typically you would use a 10k pot between Vcc and GND, with the wiper connected to Vo. Set it to about 1v for starters.

You could also use a filtered PWM or DAC. You have to pull Vo down, IIRC it sources 1 to 2 mA.