CFA635 Dimension Confilcts (PDF vs Solidworks)

wilbo666

CFA635 Dimension Conflicts (PDF vs eDrawings)

I'm designing a 1RU case with a CFA635 LCD and I've come across some issues in regards to the dimensions!

The measured dimensions (eDrawings) do not match the dimensions supplied in Crystallfontz drawing number CFA-635KSP02 (page 12 CFA635-TFE-KS.pdf) or the website.

Are the PDF / Website drawings accurate? Given the disclaimer on the eDrawings page I gather that is there is an issue it is likely to be in the eDrawings as opposed to the PDF.

My main issues are the following dimensions...

Edit: Also I don't think that the eDrawings LCD Keypad is centred around the screw holes vertically (14.48mm from 'tick' button to upper screw holes, and 15.52mm to the lower screw hole; dimension taken in the Y (up/down) plane only). The PDF / Website drawings don't give dimensions for the keypad vertical orientation, am I correct in assuming that the 'tick' button is on the centre line of the PCB (i.e. 15mm between the centre of the 'tick' button to either screw (upper or lower))?

Another question the chassis mounting bracket for the 635 uses 4-40UNC studs with spacers and nuts to attach the LCD to the chassis. The PCB has 5 x 2.50mm holes in it for mounting, however isn't the OD of 4-40 UNC ~2.85mm? How does this fit through the 2.5mm holes on the LCD PCB! :confused:

Are the PCB holes really 2.5mm? Or do you drill them out to suit 4-40UNC or???

Crystalfontz: CFA635 eDrawing Webpage said:
Disclaimer: These models are intended for visualization only, not design. These drawings are accurate to the best of our knowledge. However these drawings are not design drawings but were generated from the 2d drawings provided in the datasheet and measurements of sample parts. Please verify your design using the 2d drawings and actual parts. Please let us know if you find any errors or inconsistencies in these drawings.
I understand that they are for visualization only, but they seem like inconsistencies worth bringing up! :)

Cheers
Wilbo
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

NWdev

CFA635 Dimensions

Am also interested in the exact dimensioning so that I can build a front panel to fit the component (similar to the Serener GS-LCD's front panel which snugly fits around the buttons, LEDs, and LCD screen but different case sizing).

Can CFTech verify the measurements or post an updated doc/spec sheet?

Thanks!

reider

If it helps, I housed my 635 module in an external housing. I didn`t measure it but it fitted in a slot in the purchased external casing which was originally designed to house an internal CD/DVD drive but externally. Therefore, get the measurements of an internal CD/DVD drive from the specs or measure all four sides in the rectanglar housing exterior. Mine slides into some protrusions on the inside of the case and a nice looking perspex bezel slides over the top. It looks rather effective.

To compliment this I have a hard drive shoehorned into the rear of the case, with a USB lead from the drive and the LCD module. Also, I drilled a hole in the side and connected the SCAB internally to the module, the sensors come out of the side. I can use one sensor to tell the room temperature and the others can be a quick, efficient, mobile solution to just check the hard drive temps, inner case temps in a computer case. Then move on to the next case and repeat the tests, I have 7 computers so this is a handy diagnostic.

A bit more than you need but some ideas of what is possible. Someone will get back to you with the specifications.....

Reider

NWdev

CFA635 Dimensions

Thanks for your reply Reider -- sounds like a great mobile tool for testing!

I'm in the process of building a small file server, so the LCD will be installed in the front of the unit. Am modding a Morex Venus case to handle a 5-drive housing and the LCD. The front panel of the Morex will be replaced in the process. The tricky part will be getting the holes dimensioned and placed properly on the front panel so that the buttons on the right protrude through the panel. So am trying to 'fit' it to the LCD 'keypad' versus cutting a rectangle (or octagon?) to expose it. Guess I'll just measure it out and create a cardboard template to test and either use that on an aluminum sheet or send out the dimensions for final cutting.

Once I make and test the measurements, I'll post them here. Though there likely will be slight variance from unit to unit (within the tolerances noted in the CFA635 PDF schema?).

Perhaps that will help others?

NWdev

Take a look at what I would have much more confidence in for a model:

635 Preliminary 3D model
Interesting. Perhaps there's something a bit less dense in 2D? I suppose not however since this looks like it was a prelim manufacturing 3D spec.

Guess I shouldn't have used the word 'exact' in my earlier post? Reminds me of some old lessons I used to teach about significant digits! Whew!

Anyway, the original poster may be helped by this... so thanks...

EDIT...Looking back at my earlier posts, I should clarify... the front panel I'm designing is 2D with holes to access/view each of the individual keypad keys, the LCD readable area, & LEDs...

Last edited:

wilbo666

Take a look at what I would have much more confidence in for a model:

635 Preliminary 3D model
I'm afraid that I can't seem to get this to import correctly?!

I get
*Imported geometry has 6 check error(s) for [Bezel_metal_6]
*Imported geometry has 2 check error(s) for [635_bicolor_LED2]

And what is imported doesn't seem to look correct!...
(SolidWorks(r) Office 2007, SP0.0 AND SolidWorks(r) Office 2007, SP3.1)

I imported asm635_main_asm.stp without dramas (SolidWorks(r) Office 2007, SP0.0).

ALSO can you confirm that the 2D drawings are correct and accurate?

Cheers
Wilbo

wilbo666

Here is a STEP 214 file and an STL export:

Exports
The STL imports OK (The file is too large to import the features tho it appears so I can't really use it for much...! :().

The STEP 214 file is the same as before...looking at it there doesn't appear to be any mates for the components?

It would be really great if a 3rd party could step in and see if they are having the same issues as me!

wilbo666 said:
I get
*Imported geometry has 6 check error(s) for [Bezel_metal_6]
*Imported geometry has 2 check error(s) for [635_bicolor_LED2]

And what is imported doesn't seem to look correct!...
(SolidWorks(r) Office 2007, SP0.0 AND SolidWorks(r) Office 2007, SP3.1)

For the time being I'll stick with the 2D drawings I guess... Thanks. :)

Cheers
Wilbo

wilbo666

The chassis mounting bracket for the 635 eDrawing uses 4-40UNC studs with spacers and nuts to attach the LCD to the chassis (According to the first eDrawing).

The PCB has 5 x 2.50mm holes in it for mounting (According to the 2D drawings), however isn't the OD of 4-40 UNC ~2.7mm? (I measured a 4-40UNC standoff). How does this fit through the 2.5mm holes on the LCD PCB!

Are the PCB holes really 2.5mm? Or do you drill them out to suit 4-40UNC or do you use something else or???

Cheers
Wilbo

CF Tech

Administrator
The studs are supposed to be 2-56. That is what they are on the physical brackets. The module is not very heavy, 4-40 would be overkill (plus it does not fit in the hole ;) ).

wilbo666

The studs are supposed to be 2-56. That is what they are on the physical brackets. The module is not very heavy, 4-40 would be overkill (plus it does not fit in the hole ;) ).
Thanks! That clears that up!

If you ever find out what the issues with the 3D files are that would be great :) Any ideas?

Cheers
Wilbo