Aluminum 635 bracket - special request

Stigma

Hi,

I recently bought a 635 with an aluminum bracket from Crystalfontz. So far I am very pleased with it.

However, I'm going to use this display in a casemod, and I need to dismantle the aluminum brackets plastic cover (the thin plastic that protects the screen area) in order to alter the appearance like I want to.

The problem is that this plastic is glued very very firmly in place. Trying to remove it by force seems useless, since the (very thin) aluminum front only bends and is destroyed in the effort. My best attemts at disolving the glue with chemicals have also not been effective.

So, the solution is actually very simple. I need to buy a bracket just like the ones you have, but witohut the plastic cover glued onto it.

I don't know if you make these yourselves, or have them made by another company, but logically it should be possible to get hold of one of these that aren't fully "assembeled" (ie. the plstic not glued into place).

It would really mean a lot to me if someone could check if this is possible to aquire, or (in the case that the brackets are not manufactured in-house) could give me the contact information to whoever makes them so I could enquire the directly.

The casemod in question is reasonably high-profile and wil be featured on quite a few enthusiast forums in the form of a worklog (in roughly a month or so if all goes according to plan), so if support can help me get hold of one of these, I will make sure to put crystalfontz up as a sponsor in my worklog. I hope this can provide some insentive for accomodating my slighlty unusual request :)

EDIT: Clarification, this is the bracket I am talking about:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html
The normal aluminum (not black) version. with or without logo.

Of course, don't hesitate to ask if something is unclear. I will do my best to clarify :)

Sincerely
-Stigma

PS: contact through PM is fine if you want to give me contact infomation for a sub-contractor (if this is the case).
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

Heffo

Gah! I have just ordered a 635 and I would have liked one of those aluminium brackets without the plastic cover too..

I just bought a beige one with the intent of painting it blue to match the colour of my case.

Perhaps a plain metal bracket would be a good offering for modders who like their cases painted.

Stigma

I need to wet-sand it, so I cannot do this, but if you only need to spray-paint it, then you should be able to just mask the plsatic cover with careful use of masking tape for example.

Of course, this assumes that you aren't a perfectionist that wants to sand and prep the surface properly before spraying. If thats the case, then your in the same boat as me (welcome! ;) ).

-Stigma

Heffo

I painted the bracket of my 633 when I built this rig. The paint doesn't take to the plastic very well at all.

The only reason the paint has stayed on I think is because it's turned into a semi-hard shell, twice as thick as the paint on the rest of the case, wrapping the face of the unit.

My masking job over the view area of the display was pretty good but left a large sharp edge which I managed to fill with clear paint (which held pretty well to the plastic for some odd reason considering the base coat wanted to run like water on glass)

A plain metal face would be so much easier to get paint to bond to.

Stigma

Yep, sounds like you either need metal, or to sand and prepare the surface before spraying. Hopefully we can both get hold of bracketrs witohut the plastic pre-glued =)

-Stigma