A couple of general product questions...

monkey_pants

I'm sorry to splatter my newbie-ness all over the forum, but I'm hoping to get some pre-sale questions answered. I did some searching in the forums, and I have some ideas, but I just wanted some confirmation.

I'm developing a .NET application that will be running on a windows machine. This will be a box without a monitor or keyboard (kinda like a set-top box) so I was hoping to find an LCD with input buttons. This seems to be the place! A couple of the products here seem to fit the bill, but the one I'm looking at is the CFA635-TFE-KU1. That's the 20x4 USB LCD with keypad.

Questions:

So, it seems to me, that I can communicate with the CFA635 via .NET, sending data to be output on the screen, and then waiting for keypad responses. Is this correct? If there isn't a managed .NET dll, I could use MSComm, or just roll my own, communicating directly with the LCD. Right? Maybe not easy, but it should work...

If I need a 20x4 LCD with buttons, is this my best bet? Is there an advantage to USB over serial? Disadvantages?

Thanks for your help.

Rick
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.