631 Button Programming

Breeze

I have a 634 in my old pc and decided to buy a 631 for my 3.5 drive for the cube I am putting together. Anyway it showed up today so I slapped it in and downloaded the drivers just fine. I then proceded to download crystalcontrol and that seems to be just fine to. The problem I am running into is that I do not know how to use the buttons on the 631 with crystalcontrol. I hate to sound like a newb but the 634 just had 4 lines of character and no buttons so this is new territory for me. Any help is much appreciated.

O yea one more thing I can not seem to figure out is how to configure it for it to display new emails on the display.

Breeze
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
CrystalControl does not support the 631 buttons in any way :(
Itll only display information to a 631.

As for Emails, have you setup you email server, user and password information in the preferences dialog?

Breeze

Does Crystalfontz make some software besides Crystalcontrol that supports the 631 buttons? Crystalcontrol was the only software I saw listed that supported the 631.

Breeze

Dr Casemod

when will crystal control 2 be launched?
I got my 631 yesterday and i wanna use the buttons and i need support for speedfan, and i think i ead that cc2 will support speedfan

saperboy

Dr Casemod said:
when will crystal control 2 be launched?
I got my 631 yesterday and i wanna use the buttons and i need support for speedfan, and i think i ead that cc2 will support speedfan
SEARCH and ye shall find...er... or rather NOT find :D

saperboy

Sorry but that's all you shall have at the moment until such time that the CC2 is deemed appropriate for release. ;)

Alot of peeps are already waiting for the release too, so I guess just have to wait just like the rest of us. :D

P.S. Welcome to both of you Dr Casemod & Breeze

Last edited:

Breeze

Breeze wipes a tear away and settles in for the long wait!

Got to like the "If you dont like it, so what" attitude around here!!!

Breeze

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kross

631 buttons.... pretty, and useless

I also bought the 631, in part because I had the 3.5" space that it could fill, and in large part because of the 4 buttons I wanted to make use of. Imagine my shock and disappointment when I found out after the purchase that there's no way to use the buttons. It's almost false advertising to even claim they CAN be used!

So, like everyone else in this forum I'm waiting for the Holy Grail they call CC2. I "hope" it's easy to use, I "hope" it will make the buttons usable... but there are so few details on what exactly CC2 will deliver this is all pretty much guess work.

As an experienced software engineer (25+ yrs) I've considered building my own drivers for this but, frankly, I just don' t have the time and the "coming soon" carrot keeps one off-balance just enough to not want to start such a project.

It is now my very real fear that I'll only see the buttons working if/when I migrate the 631 to my next machine... sometime around Christmas 2004.

CybKnight

If you really want to use lcd with buttons,
and are a little handy with software.
You can configure girder with the lcd plug-in.

You can get almost any function included in CC1 except game info.

I have started making a custom girder config file, but have not got farther than setting up a clock. But the lcd plugin for girder comes with example configs.

www.girder.nl

kross

Thanks for the reply, and the tip. I had started looking at Girder when I was working on a multi-media control center/MAME "server". The thing with the LCD, for me anyway, is that I added it to the box as part of a mod for a game system and so having the game info display while playing really is part of the coolness factor.

If I had time I'd explore writing it myself as a .Net Windows Service but it's just so far to fine the time...

Breeze

Well guys I just thought I would check in and see if there ever will be a projected release date on CC2 posted but I dont see one. I should have saved my money and just put in a 3 1/2" floppy drive in that bay.

Breeze

reider

It hasn`t long since gone out to the beta testers, so I very much doubt it will put in an appearance this side of Christmas.

Steve

Breeze

Hey guys it was just a joke about the floppy drive. I think the unit looks great and it still works great with CC1 but the functional buttons are going to be nice to have. Hope Santa thinks I am a good boy this year!!!!

Breeze

CF Mark

Administrator
Originally posted by reider
It hasn't long since gone out to the beta testers, so I very much doubt it will put in an appearance this side of Christmas.
Please don't suggest things like this.

It'll be out long before Christmas.

Breeze

I am not sure of the capabilites but I would like to see obviously assigning diffrent screen settings to diffrent buttons. CC1 makes you change screens to load a diffrent and being able to toggle between four diffrent screens at a touch of a button would be pretty nice and actually useful I think. Just wondering are there any other program besides motherboard monitor 5 the either CC1 or CC2 can use that might be useful or contain some neat setups?

Thanks again
Breeze

CF Mark

Administrator
The first release of CC2 wont be able to use the 631/633 buttons (well, not easily. the serivce supports it, but the config app doesnt yet.).

As for a replacment for MBM... im not sure.
CC1 only supports MBM.
CC2 can support anything via plugins.

Dr Casemod

Could you please explain the sense of producing LCDs with buttons, which aren't supported by the old software nor by the new one?

It's like soldering 1GB of RAM on Graphics Card, but just using 128MB

But WE are the first one who sell Graphic cards with 1GB of RAM