0.5 Pitch Connectors

Rsocor01

Hi all,

I want to start playing with the CFAF320240F-T-TS Crystalfontz touchscreen display. I will use a microcontroller to interface with the LCD display. The problem that I am having is that the connectors for this display, like the HFJ150CT-ND, have a 0.5mm pitch making it almost impossible to solder any cable leads to the pins.

So, how I am going to test the display if I can't solder any cables to the connector pins? Are there any pre-made boards for testing these LCDs? Do I need to design a PCB board and send it to a PCB manufacturer in order to test the display?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Robert
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Rsocor01

Thank you cosmicvoid. That board seems to do the job. So, I got my credit card out and try to buy this board and to my surprise I was too late. A message saying "this listing has ended" is displayed on the link you posted. I tried to find a similar board in the web but I didn't find any. Do you have any other links that you could post?

Crystalfontz should have these adapters on sale for the poor souls like myself....

Thank you,

Robert

v8dave

Hi Robert,

With the number of low cost PCB places offering anything from 1+ boards at very competive prices, you could design your own PCB and then have something you can tinker with.

In Europe PCB pool has a very good pricing structure and with the min size of 100mm x 100mm you could design something on a 50 x 50 board and have 4 of them for a low cost price.

Your right though, Crystalfontz should be offering something along those lines but I guess there is not enough demand for them.

Regards
Dave...

CF Support2

Administrator
Dave:

There isn't a big demand for breakout boards, which is why we have done a bit of research and found some sources - some that we've used ourselves even :). We are keeping an eye on demand and will adjust accordingly.

We are working on a demo / development board for our TFT modules. It will be similar to our CFA-10009 and CFA-10019 boards we currently have but with a beefier processor. The ATMEGA2561 can drive the TFTs, but not as fast as they are capable going by a long shot.

v8dave

Just for information, I am designing around the Netburner modules. A lot faster than the Atmel (of which I am a big fan already) and a 16 bit bus so ideal for some of the TFT displays to get max through put.

I found a good driver from www.ramtex.dk for software drivers. A bit expensive for most users but for those with commercial interests, it cuts down your dev time. If anyone knows of any other drivers out there with lots of features, I would love to know about them (preferably in C)?

Cheers,
Dave...

Rsocor01

Hi,

Thank you all for your repplies. Yes, like v8dave mentions in his first repply I could design my own breakout board and then send the gerber file to a manufacturing house. But, I was just hoping that I could buy an adapter board like the ones you guys have posted in this thread.

For my designs I use PIC microcontrollers with assembler and also basic language so the Crystalfontz development boards with Atmel microcontrollers won't work for me. Microchip has very good drivers with a lot of features for LCD designs. They use C language.

Robert