VDS display

CF Tech

Administrator
Welcome to Chinglish :)

Translation: "We are not selling them anymore and cannot find the documentation."

Meaning: "We will not put any effort into your request, because the part is not being ordered."
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Ferrari355

Welcome to Chinglish :)

Translation: "We are not selling them anymore and cannot find the documentation."

Meaning: "We will not put any effort into your request, because the part is not being ordered."
lol... How can they just throw them away? Don't they file something like that?

So I wonder should I go off with the VDS Pdf I posted above?

CF Tech

Administrator
Observation: The minimum lines needed to run an "HD44780" style display are D7,D6,D5,D4,RS,E,Power & Ground. Which happens to be the same number of lines on that display.

If you can look at the lines when it is operating, you might be able to figure out which are which.
A "standard" LCD is (red lines are "absoutely must have"):
Code:
pin func
[COLOR="Red"] 1  Vss (ground)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] 2  Vdd (+5v)[/COLOR]
 3  Vo (contrast)
[COLOR="Red"] 4  RS[/COLOR]
 5  R/W
 6  E[/COLOR]
 7  DB0
 8  DB1
 9  DB2
10  DB3
[COLOR="Red"]11  DB4[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]12  DB5[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]13  DB6[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]14  DB7[/COLOR]
So if you dropped the "unused" lines, you would have:
Code:
pin func
[COLOR="Red"] [b]1[/b]  Vss (ground)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] [b]2[/b]  Vdd (+5v)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] [b]3[/b]  RS[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] [b]4[/b]  E[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] [b]5[/b]  DB4[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] [b]6[/b]  DB5[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] [b]7[/b]  DB6[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"] [b]8[/b]  DB7[/COLOR]
That would be a "educated guess" of a start.

I do not think the VDS sheet will be much help, because that display has all of its pins.

Ferrari355

Well the display has all of those lines at least looking at it.

A part I forgot to check but I doubt it's listed is The Logitech Control pod on the Circuit board it has a end Connector (in picture) connected from the LCD to the Control pod.. I don't think the pin numbers are printed on the Control pod.

vibrasys

Vds Vc-b200252

Hi.

Does anyone have any ideea what type of controller is present on this display?It says VDS VD-B200252 on the back of it and has 3 white leds on each side,placed in parralel,LED+ to pin8 and LED- to pin 7.
The connector has 8 pins.Since 2 of them are occupied by the backlight i asume there must be a SPI bus available there.
Anyone has the pinout for it?

Thankx

kidknicky

Has anyone sent Crystalfontz their display for analysis ? I need a replacement as well and I would be willing to send in my LCD for further investigation.
Regards,
HBelland

Ferrari355

I have not thought about that.. as of right now my display is almost unreadable because the backlight is getting dim (had my system for 2 years) and only of the LED's have went out.

CF Tech

Administrator
Replacing the backlight is a relatively simple repair to the module. Is that all that is wrong with these, or has the display failed on them too?

Ferrari355

Replacing the backlight is a relatively simple repair to the module. Is that all that is wrong with these, or has the display failed on them too?

The Contrast is going away and Blue has to be one of the worst display backlights in this control Pod.. I wanted to replace it with a yellow backlight.

Razzaq

Hi,

Good Info

I was also looking for some information for model VC-B200251..... and came across this forum...

thanks

Ferrari355

I have not heard anything else next year I might just go ahead and try it myself (if that includes killing a brand new CF display)

My display on my speaker is so faded it's hard to see it without having the room light on..

glad to see CF has OLED back but now it's not in the size I need but they have some in yellow that would look much better then this blue backlight.

It could be. Data on top (red), chip select on bottom (yellow). Clock not shown.

The red trace could also be serial async (uart output).

dhosebag

Logitech Z-680 LCD display

Has anyone been able to get the suggested Crystalfontz unit to work? I have one that is burned out as well and would like to repair it if possible.

dhosebag

Logitech Z-680 speaker system

By the way, I just spoke with Logitech support and they will sell the Z-5500 at 50% discount (approx. $200) as replacement for returning the control module for the Z-680.