will crystalcontrol 2 support Speedfan?

Dr Casemod

Hi,
I have a Shuttle SB75G2 and a 631.

I use Speedfan to lower my fans to get my Barebone silent.

will it be possible to control speedfan in combination of CC2 and the buttons of the 631???

that would be a great feature, just press a button in the front to fasten or lower the Case fans :D

by the way, thats my little BB :D

Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
I have no idea, since I have not looked at speedfan.
If speedfan has an interface so that external applications can control it, then sure, CC2 will be able to support it via a plugin.

reider

CrystalControl Admin said:
I have no idea, since I have not looked at speedfan.
If speedfan has an interface so that external applications can control it, then sure, CC2 will be able to support it via a plugin.
I find this reply strange, since it has already been reported from an official source that CC2 would probably include a Speedfan plugin. The reply is already somewhere in this forum.

Steve

reider

https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2279&highlight=speedfan

The above address was the forum thread that Speedfan was mentioned in. The following is quoted text from CC Admin on the subject of Speedfan inclusion.

CrystalControl Admin
Administrator

I didnt know about Speedfan, looks like quite a nice utility.
I doubt wether i would be able to support it properly under CC1.
But itll definitely be on my list of plugins to make for CC2.
Steve, AKA Reider in Sudhian

CF Mark

Administrator
Ive looked at the website for it, but i havnt used it, or looked into the details of it.
Hence i dont know if it can be controlled by and external application like CC2.

It is on my plugins to make list... but that doesnt mean ill be able to support it (since i dont know if i can).

Does that clear things up for you?

reider

Hope Speedfan does make it to CC2, a hell of a lot of people can`t wait to junk MBM asap. We only use it to get the results on the display, but use Speedfan to control and do everything else with the temps.

Steve

monakh

Just so that CF and CCAdmin remembers that this is important to us!

SpeedFan=YAYYYYYY!!!!
MBM=While a valiant effort=NO YUO!

reider

Since MBM is no longer supported Speedfan is now the leading contender. Watch this space, some promises are kept, hopefully this will be one of them. Still can`t wait to dump MBM.

Reider

Fred

I agree with all above. Given the demise of MBM, it would be pointless to not support a comparable utility (and superior in my opinion).

That said, I am not holding my breath. I purchased the 631 unit for my Shuttle loooooong agooooo..........................

and to-date, it has been kinda "purdy" but next to useless since the underlying software support and capability is nearly non-existent.

could it be the strontium-90 in Adelaide water? I mean, Maralinga wasn't all that too long ago (using Crystalfontz development speed time line)
:D

Belgarius

Speedfan, like MBM, makes use of the system sensors by way of the SMBus, and unlike MBM, will allow control of a fanspeed by a temp and/or temps detected. However, it does this by making use of the PWM control that is built into your motherboard. Some have it, some do not, and some, like my Abit IC7, only have it on certain fan connectors. To the best of my knowledge, admittedly limited, I don't think it will accept inputs from other programs for the purposes of controlling associated fans, since it relies on mobo input and sensors to perform it's operations. Outputs shouldn't be a problem, and could probably be handled in much the same fashion as MBM readings are done now. It might be do-able if there were some way to connect the output from CC2 for fan control to the SMBus, and have it picked up by Speedfan, but I've not seen any Super I/O chips that support addtional inputs, they are pretty much designed for a board application, and left at that. Not to say it's impossible, but I'd think that it would have to be a part of the board, not the program.

Then again, I could be completely off beam, not like that would be anything new...:D

Belgarius

reider

Personally I`m only looking to get the temp results posted on the LCD screen, from Speedfan. Thus, junking MBM and continuing to use a supported program rather than an unsupported one. This would be catered for in software and negate any motherboard/hardware changes.

Reider

Belgarius

Perfectly understandable, although in a good many ways, I can understand why Alexx dropped the project, and why Alfredo is running into the same problems - vendors are just not very forthcoming with specs for third party apps these days...

I use both, having found from my tinkerings, that MBM seems to actually track the temps closer to what my BIOS and physical sensors are indicating; SF averages about full degree C higher than either of the first. Voltages seem to be consistent with either.

I'd hazard to guess that support for SpeedFan wouldn't be that much more difficult to incorporate, it would be a matter of selecting which outputs were read in, or so is my understanding of the beast.:D

Belgarius