Why is CF so paranoid about Parallel LCDs?

FLECOM

everywhere on your site you have giant disclaimers about using the HD44780 based displays as PC LCDs... why? is it just becuase you dont want people trying to return LCDs that they fried? or is there another reason? i didnt have a problem wiring my display, works like a charm...

personally i would never use a serial display, they are so SLOW! and now that i am beta testing LCDriver2 on my parallel display, there is no way i will ever get a serial display...

anyway, just wondering
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Crystalfontz sell parallel displays mainly for large purchase industry use. Not one offs like people use in PCs.
Basicly they dont make enough profit on parallel displays to warrant supporting them.

i didnt have a problem wiring my display, works like a charm...
So why are you bringing this up?

personally i would never use a serial display, they are so SLOW! and now that i am beta testing LCDriver2 on my parallel display, there is no way i will ever get a serial display...
If you can see a difference between the speed in the two, then the software is not written properly.
At 19200 baud, a 20x4 LCD can be fully (all the screen) updated about 30 times a second.

Last edited:

FLECOM

CrystalControl Admin said:
Crystalfontz sell parallel displays mainly for large purchase industry use. Not one offs like people use in PCs.
Basicly they dont make enough profit on parallel displays to warrant supporting them.
that makes sence...

So why are you bringing this up?
was just wondering..

If you can see a difference between the speed in the two, then the software is not written properly.
At 19200 baud, a 20x4 LCD can be fully (all the screen) updated about 30 times a second.
well, in all of the winamp plugins that i have seen, the serial displays can reach 30fps... but the parallel ones update in almost real time >60fps...

anyway, thats not the point, i was just wondering about all the disclaimers

CF Tech

Administrator
The rate of "tech-support" inquires for single quantity parallel displays to end users installing them in PCs is much greater than the rate for serials displays to single PC users, or parallel displays sold to commercial customers.

We are happy to make the low-cost parallel interface displays available to hobbyists, but all sorts of people have all sorts of different abilities when it comes to electronics, and we can't afford to have a bunch of tech support calls and RMAs for those very low cost displays.

We are basically faced with pulling the low quantities from the site, or letting hobbyist users know they are more-or-less on their own.

Since we think hobby electronics is great fun, we want to keep the displays available, but we also need hobbyist buyers of the single piece displays to realize that there is basically no money in those sales for us, so we can't afford to do a lot of "education" type support for them. And also to take responsibility that when when a factory tested display "fails" in a hobbyist environment, it is most likely that the display was not at fault :)

CF Mark

Administrator
FLECOM said:

well, in all of the winamp plugins that i have seen, the serial displays can reach 30fps... but the parallel ones update in almost real time >60fps...
Hmmm... i would like to know how you can tell the difference.
Since the eye can only see about 25fps, that extra 35fps should be useless. And this is also backed up by the fact that a lot of LCD screens cannot change the state of the pixels that fast, in other words, they blurr.
Are you sure you just didnt see a blurring serial display and compare that to a fast parallel display?

Last edited: