Water flow monitoring

BlindBat

Seems I have found all I need in the 635 with the scab, one element I am missing is the ability to monitor water flow in a water cool system.

Simple item I need is to be able to display via the red light for example if the water is not flowing , RED ON water not flowing. Issue is I can't seem to find a waterflow device that could be monitored by some other software and pluck the results in the 635.

Anyone got any suggestions? If it happens to be more then this basic requirement even better...spinning turbine on the display would be great ..lol!

Just need to keep my head at my screen instead of constantly in the case checking if water is flowing. So monitoring pump per say is no good, for it could be on but ...water not flowing.

water temp resolve through the various posts in this forum, just need water flow and then credit card is ready.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Edit: Well I seem to have found the flow monitoring device,

http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

Now can we do anything with that and a 635 / SCAB....???
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
If you can find a flow-meter that outputs a square wave (open collector / open drain would be ideal), you could connect it to one of the CFA-635+SCAB's fan tach inputs.

I think the CC2 guys could then work out a way to light the LED based on the reported RPM.

BlindBat

Opsssy me dutch not very good and translation link is weak, but am I reading this right n that this newest version of the FlowMeter posted above works as a simple fan?

If so I assume I could connect that to one of the fan header on the SCAB and work from there to do the light on or off that I want ?

Edit:

Bingo I think problem solve...now can I lit the red fixed light ?

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant...ct_Code=FlowProRev3&Category_Code=FanTempFlow

Edit 2: Ok let me press my luck, if u read the description provided above, the formula to convert RPM to liter is easy: Now would it be possible to implement this formula for a given Fan port (can user do it himself in cc2 ? ), and be able to display the RPM as Liter per Minute value. Using the example in the description if I had say fan 4 running at 1960, I would display on the LCD :

WaterFlow => 0.7L/m.

Last edited:

jdgordon

BlindBat said:

Edit 2: Ok let me press my luck, if u read the description provided above, the formula to convert RPM to liter is easy: Now would it be possible to implement this formula for a given Fan port (can user do it himself in cc2 ? ), and be able to display the RPM as Liter per Minute value. Using the example in the description if I had say fan 4 running at 1960, I would display on the LCD :

WaterFlow => 0.7L/m.
well.. iirc the LED's can be set to the fan rpm, and you can set the max and min colour values (i.e off at 0, green at 500, red at 2000.. sortof), so if this plugs into the fan rpm plug then there is no reason why u cant do what u want wih the LED... disaplying the actual waterflow would be diffuclt coz (unless its been added in the while ive been away), u cant do maths with cc2...
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited:

reider

Working in either measurement would show simply 'full flow', 'partial flow' or 'no flow'. Displaying WaterFlow => 0.7L/m would be a purely cosmetic gesture, albeit a very nice touch. The LEDs are a done deal, they can be setup in so many ways.

An exact conversion from every RPM setting would not be possible as the module software does not convert 'on the fly' or otherwise. However, displaying WaterFlow => 0.7L/m instead of RPM is simply a cosmetic touch that can be reproduced by changing the wording slightly for that ID in the ini file. I wonder if RPM rules could be introduced in their for 'partial flow' and 'no flow' along the lines of <=x rpm and >=x rpm. This would be similar to rounding down below .5 and rounding up above .5 if you follow me.

This may not be possible in the present circumstances but would be an extremely valuable asset to Crystalfontz and its users. Only CC2 Tech/Admin can answer this one. Many people are changing to and experimenting with liquid cooling, I know of no other company who has this kind of LCD flow monitoring setup.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.....
Feed the RPM to an external conversion program. This feeds the resultant data to a text program or is included in the former. Read the data back in as a text file and feed into a screen to display on the module. Sounds like your line of work JD, cough, ahem, hint! I`m going to make coffee, LOL!

Just my thoughts.....

Steve

Last edited:

BlindBat

Thank you all for your PROMPT response and open minded attitude towards this project.

I do follow you reider, and I guess your suggestions is a start, baring in mind that if we can display any sort of 'converted' value from RPM, some accuracy would be required or proper wording showed. For the flow (RPM) will obviously be diffirent from one set up to the other.

No one else having this set up ? Well innotek has, in fact this device is part of their solution, but I do not want to buy from them for various reasons, among others the fact that they only support 8mm Inner Diameter tubing, which is popular in Europe but a problem in North America since most use 3/8 or 1/2 OD.

That being said, that device I refered to (linked to) might be a Temp solution that I will have to try to modify (8MM in/out) to 3/8, but this will throw off the sensor value I suspect, but if succesfull in a leak free modification finding the new value will only consist of some testing to be done. This will still require to have some form of mathematical ability in Control Center I suspect, or in something like Speedfan or MBM ~ haven't look at what is possible from that end.

So still chasing this device but with proper tubing size in/out.(Hoping to find the name of the company that actually manufactuires these flow monitoring devices.)

My problem I guess, but certainly something that would be a nice addition to the SCAB product line, temp sensors, flow sensors. All from one vendor. (waterproof temp sensors would be nice also)

In the mean time certainly seems that maybe cc3, might be a possible avenue for further development and provide some distinct features oriented towards my goals, and a set of new features to stimulate sales to a wider range of customers.

Psssttt, I do expect a massive discount for bringing this excellent idea to your attention guys..lol

Lastly, I guess I should contact Sales to find out what if any incentives there is to support product reviews done by a reputable on-line forum.

You can find us here an enthousiast/overclocker oriented place on the web, http://www.bleedinedge.com which also happens to host the support forum of OCZ. Browse and be sure to hit our Review corner.

Maybe we can discuss further, if so should I contact a specific person or maybe you can contact me.

blindbat1 at gmail.com

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
I could not get your site to load. We do have a review program. Please write sales(at]crystalfontz dot com (edit to '@' & '.') and they will let you know if you qualify.

BlindBat

CF Tech said:
I could not get your site to load. We do have a review program. Please write sales(at]crystalfontz dot com (edit to '@' & '.') and they will let you know if you qualify.
Thank you I will convey to our Site Team and follow up if we entertain doing such a review.

Sorry for the site link, modified, a comma was inserted in the URL.

jc634

Administrator
FWIW, I programmed the top 2 LED's for sensing a couple of my fan RPM's. Works quite well.

It would be fairly simple to add the tach sensor to the SCAB and program the LED's to output RED for a RPM (flow) below a certain point and GREEN above a certain point.

Or program it so that it ramps up mutiple colors as the flow increases.

Jim

BlindBat

This is great news Jim, one more stumbling block down.

Great news indeed.

This end did some more research and have found alternatives to this Innotek Flow widget, which is too small tubing wize, frankly looks of poor construction, and ain't cheap frankly.

Shall, have positive feedback from manufacturers later this week I hope.

Stay tune....

jaydee116

Hello guys,

I have just hooked a SwissFlow 800 flow meter to my CF633. The meter has a 4-20mA output a 6000 pulses. It runs from 5-24VDC. I hooked it directly to the fan header of the CF633. The pulse output directly to the RPM. It reads perfectly. Only thing I am not sure about yet is what to set the PPR to to get Gallons per Minute or liters per minute. Also another possible feature of this is I believe you can set MBM or similar to shut the computer off if flow drops to zero. Anyway thought it was somewhat relevant to this post.

Link to meter: http://www.swissflow.com/en/SF800

jdgordon

well... it doesnt really make a difference what the value reads... its the same stupidity as ppl keeping an eye on fan rpms... its the TEMP that counts....

to get a nice estimate turn the pump off and see what it says, then turn it on full and see what it says and then play with precentages instead of actual values...

actually, ill change the firts sentance to temp and noise level is what counts.... i have my cpu fan set at around 30% and the temp is now 37C and goes up to 50C under load (which is fine imo)
________
Brunette blowjob

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
jaydee116 said:
Hello guys,

I have just hooked a SwissFlow 800 flow meter to my CF633. . .
This units conversion issue is something we need to address in CC2. Perhaps as a system addition, or maybe as a plugin. Then you could change PPR to L/M or whatever.

jc634

Administrator
jaydee116 said:
Hello guys,

I have just hooked a SwissFlow 800 flow meter to my CF633. The meter has a 4-20mA output a 6000 pulses. It runs from 5-24VDC. I hooked it directly to the fan header of the CF633. The pulse output directly to the RPM. It reads perfectly. Only thing I am not sure about yet is what to set the PPR to to get Gallons per Minute or liters per minute. Also another possible feature of this is I believe you can set MBM or similar to shut the computer off if flow drops to zero. Anyway thought it was somewhat relevant to this post.

Hi jaydee,

It's not like I have a water cooled setup, perhaps someday...

Just curious where you got the meter and how much it cost.

Jim

jaydee116

jc634 said:
Hi jaydee,

Jim
I got them (2) direct from www.swissflow.com. Just use the form on their site to ask about buying one. They cost about $65.00 USD. Note they only come in 3/8" BSP threads as they are from the Netherlands. I asked for some BSP to NPT adapters and they sent them with the meters.

IanB

jaydee116 said:
Hello guys,

I have just hooked a SwissFlow 800 flow meter to my CF633. The meter has a 4-20mA output a 6000 pulses. It runs from 5-24VDC. I hooked it directly to the fan header of the CF633. The pulse output directly to the RPM. It reads perfectly. Only thing I am not sure about yet is what to set the PPR to to get Gallons per Minute or liters per minute.
According to the datasheet for the SF800 (http://www.swissflow.com/en/SF800/Flow_Meter_Specifications), this output 6100 pulses per litre. Using some algebra it's easy to work out litres or gallons per minute.

Using the above information, we know 1 litre/min will equate to 6100 pulses per minute. Assuming that you have used N pulses per minute to calculate fan RPM, then the flow rate in litres/min will be equal to either (pulses per min / 6100) or (N * RPM / 6100).

To convert litres per min to UK gallons per min, multiply by 0.219969157. To convert to US gallons per min, multiply by 0.264172051.

Note that the sensor is rated to 20 litres/min, which equates to around 2000 pulses per second. I suspect (but can't find a reference in the data sheet) this is way faster than what the CF633 can handle; it would equate to a 60,000 RPM fan! I don't have any experience of water-cooling systems: what is the maximum expected flow rate?

jaydee116

Yeah I got it figured out already.

If you set the PPR to 1 then the pules read 1 to 1 (this is what I was unsure about). The CF633 seem to handle the large numbers fine. I got it up to 33,000 without issue.

To test the water blocks I set the flow rate at certain spots on each block. 5L, 4L, 3L, 2L, 1L and .5L.

The meter I have the pulses are 6000 per liter. So I adjust the flow in incremets of 6000. 3000 (.5L), 6000(1L), 12000 (2L), 18,000 (3L) and so on. That way all the math is already done.

I varified the results with a second flowmeter so all is well. :)

BlindBat

jaydee116 said:
Hello guys,

Great minds do think alike for that is also the product I somewhat hinted to , actually have been in contact with them got price offere and all.

I am also investigating the product from an American company, but under the impression that it will be more enpnsive as it is really geared towards industrial applications. I have to date found 4 products including Swissflow, and frankly Swissflow seems to be the way to go.

To boot I thought my idea was original and in doing researches found out that the exact same applications has been done by other overclockers utilizing various led controller/panel, Even one who has it working of a 5 inch lcd panel.

So brownie point for thinking about it, but no brownie points for being the first..lol

BlindBat

jc634 said:
Hi jaydee,

Jim
If you need a contact at SwissFlow, this might help:

Dirk B.van Wezel
SwissFlow B.V.
Fazantlaan 4
6026 SN Maarheeze
Tel : +31495 548848
Fax : +31495 548828
Mob : +31 653893079

E-mail : dvw@swissflow.com
Web : www.swissflow.com

jaydee116

BlindBat said:
Great minds do think alike for that is also the product I somewhat hinted to , actually have been in contact with them got price offere and all.

I am also investigating the product from an American company, but under the impression that it will be more enpnsive as it is really geared towards industrial applications. I have to date found 4 products including Swissflow, and frankly Swissflow seems to be the way to go.

To boot I thought my idea was original and in doing researches found out that the exact same applications has been done by other overclockers utilizing various led controller/panel, Even one who has it working of a 5 inch lcd panel.

So brownie point for thinking about it, but no brownie points for being the first..lol
Aqua Computer already has their own LCD/controller made specifically for water cooling. http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaqr3wvfd.html

They have their own flow meter aswell that might work with the CF6XX http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aqcoflcoseca.html