want good hardware monitoring? need two minutes of your time

ehall

I've been working with Everest, a hardware-monitor utility that some outstanding sensor monitoring capabilities. I'm trying to encourage them to make the fan, voltage and thermal readings available as performance counters so that they can be accessed via WMI calls but the point dev doesn't believe there's a market for reading this stuff with external apps like CC2.

He says if he gets a dozen requests they'll add it.

What I need from you guys is to sign up on their forums and make a quick post to the thread at http://www.lavalys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1207 Just say that you want WMI performance counters from a background service. It'll only take a couple of minutes for you to post, and you'll get really good returns over the long run. MBM5 is dead, speedfan is junk and hmonitor is weak... so this will give us the really good monitoring capabilities that we want. Two minutes guys, come on help me out here

BTW, this is what his sensor data shows for my supermicro boards:

Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

gdmaddog

Everest is great!

I agree, a sensor-only option that takes very little resources would be most helpful, though I do see some erronious fanspeed detections from them.

Everest is what I used to determine the original heat issues with my machine, and purchasing my 634 was a direct result of wanting to monitor the temps full time, all thanks to Everest.

EDIT: I might add, an official statement from an LCD manufacturing company on the current need for this support could actually push this through a bit quicker... (hint hint)

Last edited:

ehall

If you are having trouble with bad readings tell them about it. Everest fixes their database really quick.

gdmaddog

I think its a hardware issue, looked into it today. This box was bilt by voodoo and has many of the same qualities of my X. Damn good looking, but not very stable. ;)

gdmaddog

ehall said:
I've been working with Everest, a hardware-monitor utility that some outstanding sensor monitoring capabilities. I'm trying to encourage them to make the fan, voltage and thermal readings available as performance counters so that they can be accessed via WMI calls but the point dev doesn't believe there's a market for reading this stuff with external apps like CC2.
I'm having difficulty deciphering if they plan to put this feature into the next version of Everest over there... ehall, help me make heads or tails out of the developments over there- will the next Everest Ultimate Ed. fill this void, or should we keep looking elsewhere?

gdmaddog

Ok... looks like Everest Ultimate Edition 2.80 has the new system tray feature. Can anyone confirm if they set it up so we can use it to report to our LCDs yet? I know they were looking to support the G15 LCDs, but I dont know if they everwent through with it. Anyone?

My main reasoning is- SPEEDFAN KILLED MY CPU!

the short of it is, SpeedFan was reportin ga Diode on the MB, beneath the CPU, as the CPU's on board diode, and didnt catch an overheat peoblem until I decided that if it looks like an overheat, acts like an overheat, and smells like an overheat, but displays temps in the 50s... the temps must be wrong.

Sure enough I fired up Everest right as the system booted and saw a temp of 60C AT STARTUP, while my LCD happily accepted SpeedFan's report of 45C as reality.

phuklok1

actually, the best would be for crystal control to read the ACPI temps directly and not have to worry about running an additional 3rd party app in the background just to feed it with CPU temperature.

CF Mark

Administrator
phuklok1 said:
actually, the best would be for crystal control to read the ACPI temps directly and not have to worry about running an additional 3rd party app in the background just to feed it with CPU temperature.
Thats a very good idea, ill look into it.

Ive never wanted to support direct temp monitoring in CC2 due to the huge amount of different hardware it would need to support, but ACPI would make that a non-issue.

phuklok1

yeah, it seems like most of the info is linux related.

There are some intresting docs here:

http://www.acpi.info/

That talk about the ACPI tables, where temperature values are kept.

I'll keep looking... crystalcontrol users, if anyone has any contacts or info on reading ACPI temps, help out - this could be a really cool addition to the software and maybe a selling point for our fav lcd supplier ;-)

CF Mark

Administrator
Well i have ACPI temp support working... almost.

There is a bug that seems to effect lots of PCs/Laptops that causes the WMI system to only update the temperatures at certain times (power on/off, standby, power change, etc).
This bug seems to be effecting my PC, so i cant really test the new plugin properly :(

This bug also effects SpeedFan:
http://www.bugtrack.almico.com/view.php?id=314

jc634

Administrator
CrystalControl Admin said:
Well i have ACPI temp support working... almost.

There is a bug that seems to effect lots of PCs/Laptops that causes the WMI system to only update the temperatures at certain times (power on/off, standby, power change, etc).
This bug seems to be effecting my PC, so i cant really test the new plugin properly :(

This bug also effects SpeedFan:
http://www.bugtrack.almico.com/view.php?id=314
I downloaded and tried the Mobilemeter program discussed in this thread. The result was no readings available. ACPI sounded promising, but seems to be a dead end.:(

Attachments

CF Mark

Administrator
jc634 said:
I downloaded and tried the Mobilemeter program discussed in this thread. The result was no readings available. ACPI sounded promising, but seems to be a dead end.:(
... for some.
It is supported by a lot of motherboards, esp newer ones.

jc634

Administrator
Maybe when Conroe is available... Although it would cost me a ton, since I would need a new MB, video card, and the processor itself.

Oh, well...

CF Mark

Administrator
All new PCs for the last 5yrs or so support ACPI... it came in with the ATX power supplies / cases.

Not all of them support ACPI temperature monitoring and fan control though.

Ill make up a SMBIOS dump utility.
If i can get a few of you guys to run that, ill be able to work out if supporting SMBIOS data will be worth while.