Uptime Bug?

Lordbob

My counter has somehow gone back... I was up to 48, 49, and then I don't know why, but my counter is back to 1day uptime
I'm using version 0.99, build 162, I'm going to try the latest pr2 version to see what it does...
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Reboot... see if that fixes it... :p

The elapsed time is stored as a DWORD value. Therefore, the time will wrap around to zero if Windows is run continuously for 49.7 days.
Argh...
Not sure if i can do anything about this.
Ill see what i can find.

Lordbob

so is windows "showing it" inacurately?
I'm assuming CC pulls the DWORD out of some windows memory location or file.

BigTy

what OS is this. i know 2000 and xpWILL reboot them selves if they fell a need to. heck i dont even know why you wouldnt want to reboot anyway that pc had to run like poo.

CF Mark

Administrator
Lordbob said:
so is windows "showing it" inacurately?
I'm assuming CC pulls the DWORD out of some windows memory location or file.
Its actually the Windows API function "GetTickCount()".
Is this a server or a desktop PC?
If its a desktop, im mighty impressed with that up time. Although, with XP now, its not too difficult.

CF Mark

Administrator
I cant read german, but i imagine that app just sits in the tray, or as a service and counts the uptime itself.
Its not really a "fix" for the windows uptime counter.

cyberef

But how does it count the uptime? I mean it didnt sit their all the time, I got it after 49 days of uptime and it fetched my correct uptime without any problems.

So no it doesnt fix "windows uptime" or "crystalcontrols uptime"

The german uptime program itself has 2 options for uptime

Method 1 (max 49d uptime)
Method 2 (unlimited)

CF Mark

Administrator
Hm, ok.

Well another thing i just thought of is that it might be checking the date & time on a specific file that gets created/modified everytime windows boots.

Could you find out more info on how it works?
If you can ill add the feature to CC2 for its first release.

cyberef

I have no idea how it works, maybe you could ask the developer of the uptime program?

I havent rebooted, I installed it a couple of days after crystalcontrol resetted the uptime and that uptime program reported the correct uptime with method 2.

So I guess it doesnt check against any file.

cyberef

Well my system is stable and secure with SP3 so I dont see the need for it. Might go for SP5 when it comes if it's good enough.

cyberef

Found something that might be useful for fixing the uptime problem. :)

http://futz.net/sources/optsfinal.zip <- there is a source included

Although called "Opts", it's an uptime fix for kano. It's used to replace the [clock clicks] call on Windows machines that's an alias to GetTickCount() in the Win32 API. GetTickCount() returns the number of milliseconds that computer has been running since the last rreboot and it's stored as a 32-bit unsigned DWORD... hence you can sense a slight problem. When it hits 49.7 days, the counter resets due to overflow. Opts makes a call to the performance counter module of Windows XP/2k/NT to return a wider value, 64 bits, of computer uptime. It's stored as seconds (as opposed to milliseconds with GetTickCount()), so this fix will work for QUITE a while.

Vaempyr

cyberef said:
Found something that might be useful for fixing the uptime problem. :)

http://futz.net/sources/optsfinal.zip <- there is a source included
I'm not sure how this little program works under a "normal" XP Pro-SP1 install ... does it allow CrystalControl to display the correct system uptime?

And if so, what do I do with the files inside the zip to make it so?

Thanks!

cyberef

No, these were just files I provided for the developer of CrystalControl so he could fix the "uptime bug".

So no those files will not fix your uptime problems in CrystalControl, you will just have to wait for CC2