Trouble with serial display

No Limit

I plugged the serial lcd display to the usb-serial converter (USB232A) using a female to female adapter which is plugged into a usb port which is connected to a motherboard usb connector. I have set the lcd display to a speed to 9600 and the COM3 serial port (the usb-serial adapter) is set at 9600 speed, Data Bits = 8, Parity = none, stop-bits = 1, and flow-control = none. I tried using your wintest.exe program and all that is displaying on the lcd screen when I try something all I get is a blinking command prompt and the program freezes. If I just use a regular serial cable and plug it into a normal serial port, everything works fine. Am I doing something wrong? I want to use the lcd display through a usb port.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
If everything works OK with a standard cable, then it must be in the USB adaptor.

What OS are you running?

Did you get the latest drivers for the adaptor?

Do other USB devices work?

Does it help to remove the other USB devices?

Does the USB adaptor show up OK in Device Manager (no exclamation marks)?

Do you have any other serial device you could use to test the USB adaptor?

Do you have access to another computer where you could test out the setup?

No Limit

crystalfontz said:
If everything works OK with a standard cable, then it must be in the USB adaptor.

What OS are you running?

Did you get the latest drivers for the adaptor?

Do other USB devices work?

Does it help to remove the other USB devices?

Does the USB adaptor show up OK in Device Manager (no exclamation marks)?

Do you have any other serial device you could use to test the USB adaptor?

Do you have access to another computer where you could test out the setup?
<b>What OS are you running?</b>

I'm running WinME right now

<b>Did you get the latest drivers for the adaptor?</b>

I did download the latest drivers from ATEN's website, but installing the newest drivers caused the COM port not to open for some strange reason.

<b>Do other USB devices work?</b>

An optical mouse and a Palm sync cradle works fine.

<b>Does it help to remove the other USB devices?</b>

Even without those devices plugged in, the serial-usb cable still doesn't work.

<b>Does the USB adaptor show up OK in Device Manager (no exclamation marks)?</b>

It shows up OK in the device manager.

<b>Do you have any other serial device you could use to test the USB adaptor?</b>

Unfortunately I do not have any other serial device I can test with the USB adapter.

<b>Do you have access to another computer where you could test out the setup?</b>

I'll try it in another computer to see if it works.

No Limit

Ok. I re-installed Win98 on my computer and the usb-serial adapter works fine. I don't think the adapter is really compatible with WinME.