Transparent LCD: Removing rear polarizer from CFAX 12864CP-NGH

kenkoh

Forgive me...I am a newbie to LCD and I will like to build a transparent (example as attached but I am looking for programmable graphical mode) LCD module from those standard CF LCD (CFAX series?) modules. I was looking at this article: "transparent" LCD.

It mentioned that I can "remove" the rear layer of the polarizer. Is that true by using a knife (I suppose it leaves behind only a piece of clear glass after the removal)? Can you briefly describe how can I replace it with a transmissive polarizer? Is CFAX 12864CP-NGH the best option for graphical, no backlight LCD?

Please kindly advise.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Attachments

CF Tech

Administrator
Disclaimer: Any operation like this will void your warranty, and the TAB controllers on the CFAX displays are very fragile. Fair warning.

Basically the rear polarizer is like a piece of tape. You would peel it off, then get some of the self-adhesive polarizer from The Polarization Shop align (rotate it for best contrast), then stick it on and trim it. Simple in concept—many possible pitfalls in execution.

kenkoh

Can I ask something about the TAB which you mentioned earlier? I was looking at the ZIF-type of LCD and I suppose the ZIF term is referring to the connection from the LCD module to external (demonstration) board right? Is CFAX 12864CP-NGH a TAB-type of module? Because it worries me if I can remove or re-route the PCB aside since I need to make the LCD module transparent (if you understand what I mean).

Any suggestion to implement something which I just mentioned? Something that will not obstruct the light travelling from the top to bottom (new replacement) polarizer layer. Is it OK if I move the controller board aside?

Please advise. And I really appreciate your quick response to my enquiry.

CF Tech

Administrator
The ZIF is a factory addition that makes the TAB easier for small-volume users to handle.

The TAB+ ZIF can be flattened so the display is not obscured by the controller. It will operate looking just like this:

Though it might be a bit awkward to connect it to the demo board in this manner, since that is not what we had in mind.

kenkoh

Can I ask you some final questions? Very sorry for those silly questions because I am really a newbie to LCDs.

1. Is there a better and cheaper way to connect the LCD module other than using the demo board? I wouldn't mind doing some wiring in order to connect this module to a serial/printer port.

2. Just another silly question. Why do we have to use transflective type of LCD to remove the rear polarizer, and not reflective (removing the reflector and rear polarizer replace with a new layer) or transmissive (any difference in polarising the light compare to transflective type)? Has it got to do with the availability in Crystalfontz?

I have attached the back of the CFAX 12864CP-NGH here. Is the grey area consists of both the reflector (transflective do have a mirror as well right?) and rear polarizer?

Many many thanks.

Attachments

CF Tech

Administrator
The demo board is the easiest way, unless you are going to make your own circuit.

The only display we have that can be accessed from both sides only comes in transflective.

There is a single layer on the back of the glass that does both the polarizer and the partial mirror (transflective).