Touch Sensitivity Comparison

Sacman

I currently have a 2.8" Touch LCD from 4DSystems out of Australia. They are fairly expensive but they come with a programmable chip on them that allows them to operate independent of any other controller even though I am using a PIC for other functions.

I am running into two problems.

First, I need my project to fit into one of these cases: http://www.polycase.com/vm-24

While the module itself will just barely fit and their slightly smaller 2.4" will also fit, it is a very tight squeeze to fit in the rest of my components including a PIC Micro Controller (currently a through hole 16F but will likely upgrade to an SMD 18F), a rechargeable Li-Po, an RF Transceiver, a Splatch antenna and various support components.

The second issue is with the touch sensitivity. If I use a Stylis or a Fingernail, I have very good response from their display. If I use my finger, I have to really apply some force to get it to pick up the touch. I am only using fairly large buttons for navigation and do not require any kind of fine touch.

So that led me to look a little deeper. I found some modules that have a PIC 18F and built in Audio etc. Once again the problem is size. Like the 4D display, these come with a bunch of extras (audio, USB, etc) that I don't need.

So now here I am on this site and so far I like what I see. Barebones display that allows me to put what I want with it and dimensionaly the CFAF240320K-T-TS is perfect.

So a couple of questions, first, keeping in mind that I don't need extremely accurate touch, can I use a fingertip to touch large buttons without having to use brute force to recognize the touch?

How exactly would this be attached to a board. Not electrically, I get that, I am more concerned about physically mounting it to a PCB. conceptually what I have in my head is glued to one side of a PCB and the connection is wrapped around to the component side. I wouldn't be able to use a simple two layer PCB but I can deal with that. This question is more to get me past a proof of concept stage.

Sorry for the extra long post. I hope someone has the patience to get through it and help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Wade
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.