Totally new

ollie4u

Just fried my first chip.... and don't want to do it again if I can help it. I'm going through the whole MOD phase right now and in my research have seen a few rigs with displays. I totally want one!!! A main priority of my case is I'm taking extra care to conceal and neatly bundle lines and cords as much as possible. Whats all involved if I add a display? A few things I'd like to monitor are CPU temp, CPU fan speed, prolly voltage.... really just the average run-of-the-mill stat's for right now. Is the software pretty straight forward and I'm running on XP, are there any issues there? Thanks, S
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

metarinka

you can download the software and see what you can do... and only one cord is involved for data, and power.. but carefull cause usually usb and serial are on the back.. so you might have to bend or solder your own on the inside.. depending where you mount it...

timid1

metarinka said:
you can download the software and see what you can do... and only one cord is involved for data, and power.. but carefull cause usually usb and serial are on the back.. so you might have to bend or solder your own on the inside.. depending where you mount it...
Software is highly unreliable. It's just like why you wouldn't want to rely upon your BIOS for accurate temperature readings. Unless you've got a thermistor (I think that's what they call it) placed in crucial areas (such as on the underside of your processor), your readings are highly inaccurate.

For the serial LCDs that CF sells, it involves a power cable and a serial cable. For the USB LCDs, there is only one cable involved and that is the USB cable. If you purchase a CF serial or USB LCD, you should NOT have to do any soldering since these products come ready to be installed.

To bundle your cables neatly, I'd strongly recommend split loom. You can buy this product from any automotive or electronics store (such as Fry's).