Simple Projection LCD

jyaron

I want to take a bright white LED(s) and use this as a light source to shine through an LCD array to project a monochrome image onto the wall.

Does anyone know of where to reference information on the type of LCD array I can use and/or the type of mirror(s) to allow for projection of this simple image?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
This takes a special high resolution LCD (or micro mirror). Cooling and optics are of course an issue. We do not have any product that lends itself easily to this application.

jyaron

CF Tech said:
This takes a special high resolution LCD (or micro mirror). Cooling and optics are of course an issue. We do not have any product that lends itself easily to this application.
I don't need high resolution... if I could get 64x64 pixels and a 12"x12" graphic on the wall I would be happy. The pixel edges could even be fuzzy.

I figure to use a LED --> collimator --> fresnel lens --> LCD assy --> projection lens... I don't need light source with mega-mcd intensity.

Intensity of a typical projection clock will do OK.

CF Tech

Administrator
Well, maybe by replacing the rear polarizer on a CFAX* series display you could make it work, but those things are fragile and the dev board is difficult + expensive.

Maybe look for a broken LCD projector on e-bay. That would have all the parts in it.

RBRat3

If you need some DIY lcd projector plans head over to http://lumenlab.com/ it should give you general knowledge on how to build one. Although if your just building a small 64 x 64 display it would be fairly easy to project youll just have to do some expierimenting with lamps. Dont expect geting a WOW factor out it being 64x64.

Last edited: