Shipping to Canada

Vric

Hi

I would like to know if Fedex Ground shipping is still available for Canada. I did a search but post are dated now.

Also, do you use any other shipping solution like insured USPS ?

Would also like to know what kind of custom & duty fees I should expect for 1 LCD of 31$US. I Know USPS would be 5$ + taxes but what about Fedex ?

I only need 1 LCD display so I try to find the cheapest shipping (31$ for LCD and 24$ for shipping is quite high)

thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Skookum

No worries my friend, I live in Canada and ordered a USB display recently, it arrived in two business days! Very fast shipping! The display worked perfectly on arrival!

Vric

I will rebump this thread

I'm still looking for a cheaper shipping

Is Fedex Ground (15$) possible ? (it was few month ago)

CF Tech

Administrator
Thank you for your inquiry about ground shipping to Canada. We were forced to discontinue ground shipping to Canada for the following reasons:

1) Customers would often want to know when the package would arrive--we did not have a good way to predict.

2) Customers would refuse to pay the Canadian duties, FedEx Ground would not enforce collection, and Crystalfontz would be forced to pay those fees.

3) The service of FedEx Express International Priority is much better at only a small additional cost.

For these reasons we offer only FedEx Express International Priority to customers outside of the US.

Vric

Thanks for the answer

but you have to admit that 24$ for shipping a 31$ Tinny LCD (not even a kit, just a HD44780 device) is a bit expensive.

Will need to find a friend that want one and combine shipping

GMS

CF Tech said:
2) Customers would refuse to pay the Canadian duties, FedEx Ground would not enforce collection, and Crystalfontz would be forced to pay those fees.

3) The service of FedEx Express International Priority is much better at only a small additional cost.
Is International Priority the service that doesn't incur duties, taxes, and fees? If that's the case then it's definitely worth it when buying slightly pricer items like kits, not to mention bulk orders.

Vric

As far as I know, customs and duttys fees are extra.

For a 30$ LCD, you will pay 24$ of shipping and 17$ of durry fees (fedex rate)

I have ordered elsewhere 2 graphic LCD, shipping was 7$ by fedex too (Crystalfontz really make some money over Canadians) and 30$ worth cost me 17.80$ of customs fees.

so overal, Crystalfontz are charging way too high shipping, sadly. So a Single 30$ LCD would cost you 87$Cnd.. total ripoff

CF Tech

Administrator
International Priority does not change the customs that are due, that is set by your government. It does change the way they are collected.

International shipping is expensive (unless you "cheat", which we do not).

>so overall, Crystalfontz are charging way too high shipping,
>sadly. So a Single 30$ LCD would cost you 87$Cnd.. total ripoff

I assure you that we do not profit from our international shipping. The $7 is either subsidised or ground.

You can always get a firm quote on international shipping by sending the list of part numbers contained in a proposed order to sales@crystalfontz.com.

Vric

Oh sorry, you are true is was Ground shipping.
I retract what I said.

Why don't you offer ground shipping back? I use it often, it's insured and average only 2 or 3 day more than faster shipping. Fedex charge the dutty fees about 2 week after you receive you package (by mail) so the no-paying dutty fees customer should be a problem

GMS

They already explained why they discontinued FedEx Ground. Many many companies don't even use that service in the first place. You've got to stop beating a dead horse. :mad:

It's simple, their house, their rules. They've tried the alternative, it didn't work out well, so they got rid of it. Our loss.

You might as well put the blame where it's due...on our gov't and their considerably high taxes. Then be thankful that Crystalfontz use FedEx instead of UPS. The fees they charge are ludicrous! Brokerage, COD, disbursement, then the taxes. You can't order something that's US$20 without paying CAD$100 by the time they're done with you. Reasons like that are why I never use UPS especially when international orders are involved. (Plus I'm sick of brown ;) Why can't they give the clean feeling of white that FedEx uses? I'd swear FedEx packages actually come cleaner than UPS. :p )

Vric

I use UPS and Fedex from US often, and the price of Brokerage and mainly the same (plus or less 2$)

anyway, it's just sad they don't have other way to ship. Customs and Taxe I don't mind, but the total for a single LCD is simply too high. Sad becose crystalfontz product are really great

GMS

I understand, and you have my vote. But if they don't ship ground then they don't; nothing we can do about it.

See, you know that Crystalfontz is great. They're so great that we should overlook all these costs and still consider them worth it. :D

Ancient

Well I just bought two 631s for my shuttle sffs and I live in Fort MCMurray Alberta ,thats way up there.I had the package in 2 business days ,I called the lady at their office to change my mailing address from my Visa address and she did it for me no problem .I think it cost me 20 bucks for customs ,overall it was quick and fast and the lady was very helpful .BTW Poor 631s went from +20 tennessee to -40 Ft Mcmurray lol worth every penny hehe

putwig

GMS said:
I understand, and you have my vote. But if they don't ship ground then they don't; nothing we can do about it.

See, you know that Crystalfontz is great. They're so great that we should overlook all these costs and still consider them worth it. :D
I assure you, Fedex and UPS are not similar in any way shape or form.

UPS across the border is the biggest scam there is. The duties and taxes are the same, what differs is the brokerage fee. Fedex brokerage fees are built into the initial shipping charge, so you know them up front. UPS, on the other hand, charges $30 dollars per hundred of value at your doorstep.

I have ordered dozens of times across the border. I now look at the shipping choices before I look at the store. If they don't have options other than UPS, I go shop elsewhere.

That said, I agree that $21 to ship a $24 item is asinine.

Why not USPS Priority Mail or Global Express Mail?

Cheap, fast, reliable, and insured.

By the way Ancient, I am in Cold Lake.

CF Tech

Administrator
The international postal services have two issues from my experience:

1) not trackable

2) According to our local postmaster, you cannot insure international packages for either Global Express or Priority Mail because it is split between two totally different carriers and neither will insure for the whole trip.

3) Once a package is lost or damaged, it is a complete fiasco to have any kind of a claim paid. First off, since it is not tracked, they will never really admit to it being lost. Handing the paperwork for damaged shipments to the postmaster is about as effective as tossing it away, the results are the same.

When it works all is good. But when it tanks, it is a complete pain in the hind-side to get any resolve.

Compare this to calling FedEx:

CF: Our customer got the package (tracking number xxx) and it was damaged.
FX: I'm sorry about that. (short pause) We have credited your account for the shipping and the declared value. Is there anything else we can do for you today?
CF: (stunned & pleased) Uhhh. No. Ummm, thank you!
FX: Thank you for choosing FedEx.