SETI@home

JohnnyBravo

Briefly could someone explain to me what the purpose of SETI@home is.

How does it beneift me? Others?

Thanks JB
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CURTISBEEF

SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

kronchev

JohnnyBravo said:
So it really just benifts SETI. Does it work? Is it easy to understand?

Thanks
Whoa, skeptic++

It benefits everyone because it assists in the search for extraterrestial life. You just download it and run it and it uses all spare cycles on your computer. Doesn't slow it down either as it just uses time nothing else is using.

Americanfreak

I do Folding@home------

Folding@home, a non-profit research project at Stanford University that is trying to understand the structure of proteins so they can develop better treatments for a number of illnesses.

This helps US here on earth, not aliens.......:D

Charles L Davis

I've been running SETI for over a year. Does it work? Well, the software works great and has caused me no issues. Have I found any alien life forms yet - no, but I'm still looking!

You can use wasted CPU cycles to do some useful work, and there are other causes doing the same if you don't like this one. My only "donation" is leaving my PC on all the time so it can process when I'm not around. So I pay the electric bill for 100 watts or so 7 x 24, but I've logged over 3000 hours of CPU time in SETI analysis.

I think it's worth doing this or something else worthwhile with all your wasted computer time.