Serial VS USB connection - CFA-634

maia

Hi all,

I'm building a home server and my board has both USB and Serial headers. I'll be running a baremetal hypervisor (most likely vSphere ESXi) and run various VMs (both Windows, Linux, etc).

I'd like to know if I should go serial or USB. Also, I'd like to futureproof the usage of the LCD panel as much as possible even if it might seem a moot point (there will always be adapters and whatnot).

Regards,

maia
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

While I've used Serial (I assume you're referring to async serial) for projects for a couple dozen years, it is almost obsolete nowadays. Serial may have a niche use or two, but I think USB is the standard now. I guess this is not news to anyone, but since you wanted input, here ya go.

If you have both, then you can use both.

maia

Thank you.

Since LCDs are, effectively, low power, low throughtput devices, a serial connection is all it's needed. No drivers involved too. And less CPU cycles involved in the process (even if a few). That's why I asked. Mind you, my new (server) motherboard (latest Intel Xeon Scalable build), still has two of these legacy ports.

I guess USB is the way to go moving forward.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad
I completely agree on the advantages of async serial for 'smart' character displays with low throughput. I currently run a serial port to receive a GPS data stream which controls my system time on the LAN.

I'd be inclined to use rs-232 for a display, myself, if my mobo offered it (which it does). Just tossing out opinions here.