Serial display questions

averell

I consider buing a 632 serial display.
Questions:
1. Which one is best readable from a distance of about 5 meters, the backlit 632SG or the inverted CFA632YMCKS?
2. Do both of them need the WR232Y02 power cable?
3. Is there enough space to mount a HDD behind a mounting bracket?
4. I will connect the display to a spare USB port using one of your USB-to-serial converters. Can I use a second converter to also connect an IRMAN, or is there a conflict if I use 2 converters simultaneously?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
>1. Which one is best readable from a distance
>of about 5 meters, the backlit 632SG or the
>inverted CFA632YMCKS?

That is a hard call. In general the 632SG is the most "visible" display across a wide variety of conditions (say direct sunlight, for instance). Bit for my eyes, 5 meters is about the limit of where I can make out the characters on a 632SG. It might be that at that distance, the "lit-up" characters of the CFA632YMCKS may be more visible.

>2. Do both of them need the WR232Y02 power
>cable?

Yes.

>3. Is there enough space to mount a HDD behind
>a mounting bracket?

Maybe. The display's bracket occupies the first set of holes, so if your hard drive can be mounted from the bottom (not too usual, but possble on a 3.5" drive) or if there is room to slide it back a bit you may be able to fit it in behind the display.

>4. I will connect the display to a spare USB port
>using one of your USB-to-serial converters. Can
>I use a second converter to also connect an IRMAN,
>or is there a conflict if I use 2 converters
>simultaneously?

That should work without conflict.

You can get the 632 as a USB version now. For the PDBK* drive bay kits packaged with cables and displays we will sub a USB display and a WRUSBY09 instead of the regular cables. Enter this note in the "Special instructions" field of the final checkout page:

Please substitute a USB version display and WRUSBY03 instead of the serial display with the WR232Y02, WR232Y09 & WR232Y10.