samsung s6b1713 controller/driver obsolete - equivalent or stock anyone?

colin@auc

Dear All,

a cry for help...
...A module I use is based on the Samsung S6B1713 - thin 128x64 COG ~ 62x43x2.1mm + flexi tail. The part has just become obsolete with no opportunity for last time buy say Samsung.

Does anyone have stock of this IC, please, or can suggest a direct equivalent?
I am already aware of Sitronix ST7565P but this is not designed for 5V Vdd, it is a 3V3 part.
I am also aware of Epson S1D15xx family but they boost -ve rather than +ve.

The product is in it's second year of production and I expect to continue at a k or 3 p.a. for some time. It may not be practical given space/system constraints to even consider a redesign around a 3.3V display,

regards,
Colin Smith
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
I think that means 1K to 3K estimated annual usage.

My understanding is that the part can be order through September 2008.

Please see the attached letter from Samsung.

Perhaps you should ask your LCD vendor to order 10K parts to cover you for 3-10 years --- better than a re-design. I certainly would not wait on the S6B1713, I do not think there is a direct replacement for it.

Attachments

colin@auc

Dear CFTech,

thanks for responding.
Yes, you have it 1k-3k.

I got the info. about no build plans verbally from Samsung's UK office. Maybe they were trying to put me off as the volumes are so small and we don't buy direct,

regards,
Colin

CF Tech

Administrator
Since this is a bare chip, do you have the ability in-house to mount it?

We could probably get you some if we hurry. It is a part we use. Can you stomach an order for 10K? I think that might be large enough to be accepted. I would have to check, get quotes, etc. I know it seems like a lot, but you just have to weigh the cash outlay (the cost of the chips is eventually recouped) compared to the cost of redesign.

Please write sales@crystalfontz.com if you want us to try.

colin@auc

Dear CFTech,

no, we don't mount in house. The module supply chain is somewhat complicated but I'll pass your details on, thanks. I expect a 10k piece moq is a no-no,

regards,
Colin