Questions about LCDs

mmx87

I have a couple of questions about LCDs.. could someone help me out?

1. With the PLED displays, are they visible in the dark? Also, do they really only draw < 1 mA of current? (refering to the data sheet)
2. As for interfacing with the PLED displays, what kind of board is needed to interface with them? And is there any way to use RS-232 serial to control them? (instead of Parallel)
3. Is it possible to detach the DB9 connector from the 632 serial LCD?

BTW, I don't intend on attaching a LCD to a PC. This is for an embedded project.

Thanks,

-Brad
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
1. With the PLED displays, are they visible in the dark? . . .
Yes, they are visible in the dark--they are an "emitting" display.

. . . do they really only draw < 1 mA of current? (referring to the data sheet)
Well, the electronics draw that much ;) but the overall display draws more, since there is some current drawn through Vbt. Please see this post for some more detailed information:

https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?&postid=10031#post10031

2. As for interfacing with the PLED displays, what kind of board is needed to interface with them? And is there any way to use RS-232 serial to control them? (instead of Parallel)
They are mostly "HD44780" compatible, most micros have LCD libraries available for the HD44780.

If you really want serial, I suppose a backpack could be made to work:

https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?&threadid=395

3. Is it possible to detach the DB9 connector from the 632 serial LCD?
With great care, I suppose :) You have to remove the nuts, then carefully heat all nine pins at the same time.

mmx87

Is it for sure that I will be able to use a serial backpack with one of the PLED LCDs? If so, I will order one :)

CF Tech

Administrator
I would not say "for sure"-- we do not make the backpacks. Please contact the backpack manufacturer first. However, I think there is a good chance it will work with some minimal fiddling.

Why is RS-232 important in your application?

mmx87

Because there is no parallel interface available on the embedded board I am using. (no chance of adding one either..)

I heard of serial to parallel converters, but those are most likely not going to work (right?).

CF Tech

Administrator
How many are you building? I guess if it is only 1 or 2 then the backpack is going to be the way to go.

mmx87

I myself am only building one..although there are other people I know who want to build one as well. What other solution do you have besides the backpack?

CF Tech

Administrator
I do not have any particular solution in mind . . . it is just if you are doing 1000 of something we have a lot more flexibility in offering custom solutions.