Question on required Equipment

fireform90

I am considering purchase of:
CFAH1602B-TMC-JP
16x2 STN Blue
White Edge LED backlight

My question is will I need anything else in order to get this display working? I plan on modding my own 5.25 cover and using a spare serial cable I have.. Is there anything else I need?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

M

MWP

That LCD is not a serial module... so itll have to be connected to your printer port.
That will mean either modifying an existing printer cable or creating a new cable from scratch. Either way itll mean doing some soldering.

fireform90

hmm.. Im not too afraid of sodering but is there any guides or wiring diagrams on how to do this? I cant really read any overly complex wiring diagrams, but my dad probobly can...

Also how hard is it to make a new cable from scratch? what kind of wire is used etc?

M

MWP

The wiring is quite easy... its just a matter of making sure you get the ends of the wires in the correct places.

You may want to look at this article:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_diy_lcd/

All the pin numbers on the LCD will be the same.
Except the CF LCD if backlit will have 15 and 16 which are for the backlight.

justnic

MWP,
This guide is very easy to falo but im not sue wat to do with pin 14 and 15 on the lcd{the backlight} wat do i hook them up to? Any help will be helpfull think you:)

lol im tired:eek: and i cant spell bad combination!

M

MWP

14 and 15 are the backlight supply and will have to go to either a pot + limiting resistor or just a resistor.

A rough guide would be:
the K pin to ground.
the A pin to a 68ohm resistor which then goes to the wiper of a 100ohm pot (or trimpot). One of the two pins left on the pot would then go to a +5V supply.

specialk

Actually 15 and 16 are the backlight power supply, not 14 and 15. Pin 14 is D7 (bit 7). Don't want to make a mistake and fudge up :p

-special [k]

justnic

oppps

I ment 15 and 16 just was tired i gess lol sorry for the confusion i think it was like 4:00 am lol