PWM, noise & fan compatibility???

Skinthing

Hello

I too are on the verge of a purchase, most likely a 635 + SCAP.
After reading heaps of reviews on various fan controllers, a 635 seems just what I need for fan control with water cooled sys.
(wooooe! this thing looks awesome ;p )

Just a couple of questions:
PWM: I've heard it can cause probs & noise on some fans at below 80%.
I have got...
1 x *Thermaltake (TT-1225A) 120mm fan standard with my Big Water SE cooler
1 x Thermaltake (A2018) 120mm start fan (always groans any any speed, dont buy one of these!!)
1 x Antec 120mm fan (standard with Antec Sonarta Quiet case).
I'm planning on getting...
2-4 x Nexus 120mm fans. (Model D12SL-12)
All of these currently run at about 6-7v
Will the 635 or SCAB cause probs or extra noise with any of these at various speeds? Can I find what fans are OK or probs?

2. As the temp of a sensor is slowly crossing over a trip point, say 45c but it fluctuate say..45,44,45,44,45 before it settles, will the fan RPM also fluctuate as well?
3. Are the temp probes still so big, can I use smaller?
4. Can it also read from Motherboard sensors (ASUS P5WD2)?

* P.S. The ThermalTake Big Water SE will be replaced with a Swiftech H20-220 APEX Ultra.

Thanks.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
I've used the SCAB with various Thermaltake 80mm, 90mm and 120mm fans w/o any problems. Yate Loons (and Nexus) np. Scythe S-Flex np. Enermax, Logisys and various other fans np. The only problem fan that I have had was a 120mm Delta. Not as much control-wise as it just seemed loud at any speed. Whether this was a characteristic of the fan or fan/SCAB, I cannot say.

In the end, I would have to guess that most modern fans designs, will work quite well with the SCAB. If you have a fan that does not like to be under-volted, it will probably not like the SCAB, either.

And most of my fans run at 35-40% speed.

Regarding temp sensors, you must use the physical temp probes that CF sells or similar types.

BTW, you will like the Swiftech kit. However, the Delta fans I mentioned earlier are from this kit. I replaced them with Scythe's, which are very quiet.

Jim

CF Tech

Administrator
Skinthing said:
2. As the temp of a sensor is slowly crossing over a trip point, say 45c but it fluctuate say..45,44,45,44,45 before it settles, will the fan RPM also fluctuate as well?
If the fan is one that plays well with the SCAB, it is very hard to detect small changes in the RPM. CC2 uses a user configureable "map" to smoothly change the fan speed based on temperatures (or even the difference in temperatures), so there is not "trip point":