Product Question: SCAB loaction (CarPC)

Darkwind

I have an overhead console in my car that has enough space for an LCD. I've planned on the CFA-631, and I was wondering if I could have your SCAB unit 8feet of wire away from it where the PC is? If this is possible, would I be able to obtain pins and connectors (I have plenty of wire).

Thanks

-Darkwind
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Those signals are not designed to go over long distances. I think you would be asking for trouble at 8 feet.

Darkwind

Those signals are not designed to go over long distances. I think you would be asking for trouble at 8 feet.
Thank you for your quick response.

My next option would be to mount the SCAB in the overhead console with the LCD. Doing this, would the outputs work with 8 foot runs? I have several +5VDC devices working properly at that distance, also a few thermometers similar to the ones you sell as accessories.

-Darkwind

CF Tech

Administrator
Those signals are not designed to go over long distances either. I still think you would be asking for trouble at 8 feet.

Not to be snarky :(

Really you might be able to get away with it in either case. But please be aware that these are not the kind of signals that are intended to go over these kind of distances. They might work fine or it might introduce trouble.

Nice project, this is trouble. Trouble, this is my nice project.

Or it could work fine. :)

Darkwind

Those signals are not designed to go over long distances either. I still think you would be asking for trouble at 8 feet.

Not to be snarky :(

Don't worry about it. This whole project has been 5 years of trouble, I mean fun. I'm still going to go with the 631, I guess I'll go without the SCAB, and stick to my original plan.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I'm not finished with the questions. After I purchase the 631, you'll hear from me again.

-Darkwind

BlancMange

another option, although a little more expensive, is to buy 2x 631 modules, and then 1 scab module.

have one 631 mounted 8 feet away, and have the other 631 at the pc, with the scab module attached.

best of both worlds, plus you can have text / stats or a label or something on the 631 on the pc.

Heffo

If you were wanting to use the temperature sensors over some distance, I have modified one of my sensors and included about 3 meters of additional wire length (3 strands of standard hookup wire, no shielding, but platted together) and it is running through a ratsnest of data, mains power, av wiring, etc behind my PC and TV and I have never had an ounce of trouble over the last 18months.

If you wanted the sensors mounted around the vehicle, you could get some shielded 3-core cable and extend the length of the sensor cables. Violating the DOW spec in relation to signal distance and so on is a whole other issue :D

CF Tech

Administrator
I agree, the DOW stuff is actually pretty tolerant to wiring length. As long as it is twisted (or shielded) it would probably be fine at 9+ feet.

It is the connection between the module and the SCAB, or SCAB and fans that I do not like the idea of extending.

Darkwind

I have a Fusion Brain to monitor everything else in and around the car, I was looking into the SCAB just for inside the PC case and around it. It can get pretty hot inside the rear well of a Camaro, especially in Florida. I have nine fans total inside the case and on the case, some of which are monitored by speedfan. I thought it would be cool to have the fans and temp stats on the LCD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the software for the 631 will display temp and fan info from mainboards that support this. Will also let me know if I have a WiFi connection? Does it support data from other programs?

Thanks again

-Darkwind