Problems with CC2 and HD44780

CF Mark

Administrator
The "could not obtain port permissions using canio" error is the cause of the problem.

Somthing else (driver or software) is using the printer port.

LB11

Then I dont know. I have that same message but I dont have any software running. Only the nvidia motherboard stuff and the ATI stuff. absolutely nothing else.

reider

LB11 said:
Then I dont know. I have that same message but I dont have any software running. Only the nvidia motherboard stuff and the ATI stuff. absolutely nothing else.
Just a little thought. This used to happen in 98/95 but probably ok in XP now. Still worth checking though. The printer port (parallel) used to be allocated IRQ (int) 7 automatically by the OS but unfortunately a lot of earlier SB soundcards took this IRQ too. This was corrected by placing the SB card on the alternative IRQ 5 that most allowed. Though this may not be the problem, it might be advisable to look in control panel (system-hardware-ports) for a yellow hyphen against the parallel port.

Just my twopence worth!

Steve

FiDo

I have no yellow exclamation marks in my Device manager.
I have no sound blaster card.

My two test systems are:

1. Abit IC7-G, P4 2.8 (Northwood), 2x256Mb 400MHz RAM, Asus Fx5700 Graphics, 2x160Gb Seagate SATA drives, NEC 3500AG DVD/RW, Twinhan DTV (DVB-T) card, 1.44Mb floppy, MS Bluetooth KB/mouse.

2. Abit NF7-S, Athlon 2500XP+ (Barton), 2x256Mb 333MHz RAM, Ati 9600 (non-pro), 2x80Gb Maxtor PATA drives, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD/RW, Plextor 24x CDRW, TerraTec Cinergy 400 (TV) card, 1.44Mb floppy, Std. PS/2 KB/mouse.

I guess about one year ago I used CC1 succesfully on my rig (can't remember the version). This was before sp2, so maybe sp2 has something to do with this after all.

LB11

Mine is an NF7-S V2 AthlonMP, 1gig, ATI 9800Pro, SATA Hitatchi drives.

CC1 worked on my system before with the same setup, but SP1. I got new HDD, so I did a clean install. When I was updateing everything I chose to try SP2 this time. The next day I saw CC2 was availible, so I installed it and it doesnt work. This was only a week ago. I have no extra garbage running that could be using the port or whatever.

LB11

Not anymore

I emailed microsoft and they gave me some solutions but none worked yet. If we dont get it working by monday or tuesday (since there is no support over the weekend) I will reinstall again withought SP2 and see if it works just to make sure.

CF Mark

Administrator
Try installing CrystalControl1 before you reinstall XP.
If CC1 works, its a problem with CC2, not windows.

LB11

CC1 doesnt work, I already tried it.

Unless maybe CC2 did something that is not allowing it to run properly.

When I reinstall I will put CC1 first and test. If yes, i'll install cc2 and test. If yes, I will install SP2 and test.

LB11

Well, I reinstalled windows with no service packs and CC1 works fine again, and CC2 will at least dispay something now. But it gives an error message with this information:

szAppName: cc2service.exe szAppVer: 1.0.1.0
szModName: MSVCR70.dll szModVer: 7.0.9466.0
offset 0000133d

It starts displaying the screen then halfway through it gets messed up and puts that message.

But the fact that CC1 is working fine shows that SP2 would not let CC open the LPT port.

XooM

does no one listen to me, i run SP 2 and have no problems so it HAD to be something else....

LB11

Do you use the parallel port for the LCD or a printer or what?

Did you do the upgrade to SP2, or do you have the windows cd with sp2 attatched to it?

I happen to just update to sp2 again and it stopped working....

If it works for you on your system, that doesnt mean its not doing something with our hardware that is preventing us from using it :(:(

XooM

LCD; the printer is on the network. I dled the It professionals version of SP2. What are ur exact system specs?

Thers no way that ms could mess up a parallel port driver with SP2...I don't even think that was on the list for SP 2

LB11

I dont really think they messed it up, i think it is blocking it for some reason or another and im sure there is some setting or whatnot somewhere that would fix it.

anyways, I have:

athlon xp@2400mhz
1gig mem
2 hitatchi drives, 40 and 80 gig
liteon dvdrw
pioneer dvd 16x
abit nf7-s v2.0 (could be the problem as my bro has the exact same board in his computer and so does the other guy here with this problem. however he also has an intel board which he claims is the same problem)
What else?

for the author: maybe on the next revision you could have the uninstall work properly?
and I think I know why I got that error while cc2 worked, I noticed that when you first select the LCD and set the amount of rows (to 4 in my case) it would go to 12 automaticaly when you press ok. This is probably what happened. Ill have to try again tommarow when I reinstall again. Ill let you know.

CF Mark

Administrator
Ill be doing some clean system testing in the next few days, including plain XP, SP1, SP2, etc.
Ill let you know what i find...

LB11

Ok great! I got the CC2 to work in xp and sp1 the error message was just because the program automatically selected the 12 row option.

soundoff

same problem for me. LCD shows its initialisation bars, then does nothing.

CC2 thinks its running.

LCDSmartie works fine.

20x4 HD44780 winXP SP1

i downloaded the couple of dll's and put them in win\sys32 didnt help.

soundoff

LB11 said:
Ok great! I got the CC2 to work in xp and sp1 the error message was just because the program automatically selected the 12 row option.
yeah my copy did that aswell the first time i ran it. weird