Problem reading messages..

Gooserider

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I am having problems reading any of the messages on the boards.

I am using Opera 6.03, under Red Hat Linux 7.2, via a KPPP dialup connection. This combo works fine with Pro-Cooling and Silent PC Review, which appear to be using similiar software.

When I click on a message title from a forum menu, I get a new window with the Crystalfontz header info, and the message title, but no message content. My download status bar initially shows about a 4KB/s average transfer rate, but as soon as the initial screen header info shows up the transfer rate starts dropping. The images received number on the status bar also counts up very rapidly, but then hangs at about 2-3 inmages less than the total for the page. If I open up a KPPP status window, I see the same initial transfer followed by the rate going to zero. Doing a 'stop / reload' sequence produces the same results.

Can anyone (particularly a moderator) tell me what the problem might be?

FWIW, I am looking for info on using a 633 or equivalent as a fan controller on the Linux box that I am currently building - note that I am interested only in how the device works under Linux, as I will not have any Micro$haft virus propogators on my network.

Thanks,
Gooserider
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Gooserider

I may give Firebird a try when I get my next box built, or if we get broadband, right now I don't want to spend the download time, or risk the 'upgrade hell' that Red Hat puts you through sometimes.

I MAY have found some of the problem - it seems that if I close all the CF thread windows and restart them from scratch then opening threads up seems to work - when I had the problem I was trying to read from windows I'd opened during an earlier dial in. (Which works on other boards, but apparently not well here....)

Since I'm on a dialup, I find that I like opening lots of threads at once, that way I can be reading whatever finishes first while I'm waiting for the rest to finish downloading. Opera lets me do this easily, Netscrape or Internet Exploder didn't, which is why I'm now an Opera fan.

Thanks,

Gooserider