!!!!!!!!Privileged Exception Workaround!!!!!!!!!

The SeNTiNeL #1

Hi everyone,

I was working all day to try and find a way around the "Privileged Exception" when CC loads before MBM when booting up and MBM exits before CC when shutting down in XP and finally I got it working on my machine (WinXP). I don't know if this will help anyone but I thought I should post it here seeing as I have got a lot of answers from you all and feel I owe you.

OK:

Step 1: Install CC and set it to load with Windows and delayed start. This gives MBM a chance to load up before CC tries to access it.

Step 2: Install MBM and go in to Settings and General and set it so it does not load with windows.

Step 3: Go into your start menu and go to the Startup folder and right click and open it in a window. Now create a shortcut to your MBM exe file and place it in there.

Step 4: Close both programs as they were probably not loaded at the right times and will crash this time if you don't quit them first.

Step 5: LEt her rip and everything should be OK. Try Restarting and see if the program still gives you the Privilaged Exception.

I HOPE THIS HELPS COS IT TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO FIGURE OUT THE CORRECT PROCESS.

Oh and a quick tip. If you are fooling around in XP trying to get the sequence right because this didn't work for you, instead of restarting just log out and log back in. It has the exact same effect and takes a fraction of the time.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Thanks for that... so i hate to tell you this.

The problem is fixed in the V0.95 and V0.96 release of CrystalControl.

The SeNTiNeL #1

Well on my PC I still get the same **** thing with 0.95 and 0.96 unless I use the workaround. What am i doing wrong?

It always happens MBM is shut down while CC is still running.

????

CF Mark

Administrator
I was wondering if this would happen.

Ok, its because MBM hasnt been released with the new version of its IO driver.

Ill talk to the Alex (MBM guy) and see if its ok for me to release his updated driver.

The SeNTiNeL #1

Thanks mate,

Its just spoiling a great piece of software at the moment so i hope u can get it sorted soon. Always frustrating when you are relying on other software :)

CF Mark

Administrator
The SeNTiNeL #1 said:
Thanks mate,
Its just spoiling a great piece of software at the moment so i hope u can get it sorted soon. Always frustrating when you are relying on other software :)
Yeh it is.
But both Alex and (MBM) and Chris (CanIO) are very helpful so it makes things much easier and a lot quicker to work problems out.

The SeNTiNeL #1

I got the trial of the MBM Service Launcher by cansoft but the trial has already expired. I dont see why they think they have the right to charge money for it when all it does is utilize freeware.

That makes me angry.

I really hope Alex lets you release the CanIO drivers :)

CF Mark

Administrator
He should... he will just ship em with the next version of MBM anyway.

BTW... it is possible to run any app as a NT service.
Theres a small util around somewhere to do it (free and made by MS i think).

The SeNTiNeL #1

Thanks,

I'll have a good look for something that does it because if I can just get MBM to load before CC and unload afterwards it would at least temporarily be useable. The solution I came up with before dosent seem to work 100% all the time.

HEy thanks for all your support for this software. Its got to be some of the best support i have come across for any software and especially as its freeware! Hats off to you bro!!

Thanks again. Please let us know how u go getting those drivers from Alex.

The SeNTiNeL #1

Im in Sydney. I almost ended up in Adelade though a few years back. We were gonna move there after my folks split up. I was lookin at ur PC earlier. Thats some seriously sweet work dude!!! I got a few mods but nothing like that. I just got the 16x2 LCD and a fanbus with blue LEDs and a window on the side panel with Blue Neons inside. All home made. I got the LCD from Dick Smith Electronics and Wired it all myself one day when I was home sick from school so I still can't believe it works. LOL!!! Im too busy with school at the moment to do any more mods, year 12. ;)

Oh i was browsing earlier and found this site, www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm , Its got loads of info on how to work around the problems with port access under XP, NT, 2000 to avoid the Privileged Exception. Dunno if it will help you or not but I thought I should share the wealth.

Keep up the good work dude!!

BTW my name is Will ;)

CF Mark

Administrator
Cool.

Youll have to throw your PC stats into the PCDB sometime.

Thanks for that URL... but the whole port problems, aint my problem anymore ;)
Its up to the CanIO guy to fix that stuff up now.

Im MWP at Overclockers Australia if you ever visit the site.

The SeNTiNeL #1

Yea I figured it wasn't really ur problem anymore but just thought u might like to look in case it gave u any bright ideas.

I'll definantly bung some stuff on PCDB when I get a chance. I gotta borrow a digital camera to take some pics.

OVCers Australia is a cool site. I have visited it many times before :)

The SeNTiNeL #1

DUDE IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex and Chris if ur reading this you are both legends too :)

Thanks heaps for all your support mate. If you ever need any help beta testing or even marketing Crystalfontz stuff up here in Sydney Please let me know cos i would be only too glad to help!!!

This software now does 99.99% of what i want it to do ;) Now if you can just get the "Skip if no internet connection is found" feature to work it would be 100%!!!

I dont know if you read my post in the other thread but if not I was thinking maybe you could use the "Current Bandwidth" feature and if the valuse is 0 then assume there is no connection. This would in theory work for a NIC too. Just an idea but u da man. Im sure u can figure it out!!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

The SeNTiNeL #1

Koolers. Yeah I can see how many other features u are working and compatability is always #1 :)

Well I'll stop flooding the forum now since my problem is solved. LOL. I'll keep checking back for updates though.

Thanks again mate!! :)

Last edited: