PLED is great, but what is the current draw?!?

ginvent

It is a BEAUTIFUL display (the 16x2), but your datasheet is missing a few key details. On backlit LCDs, you can get the current draw, but this isn't backlit.

I don't totally believe when I read the current is 0.35 typ and 0.6mA max. That can't be with the LCD supply voltage set to 5 volts.

You might want to clarify that in your datasheet.

So my question: What IS the range of current draw with all pixels lit and the Vbt set to 5 volts? It looks like they are PWM'ing the pixels, if shake the unit you get missing lines...

Could you also find out what the frequency of refresh is?

Since I hope to put these in to a new production device, I really need to know all the subtle details of current and frequency (the FCC might not like me).

Thanks as always. You make GREAT products and I will continue to use you as my preferred vendor on all our products.

Thanks,
Joseph S. Gottlieb
President
Gottlieb Inventions, Inc.
ginvent@pacbell.net
www.measurearea.com
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

ginvent

With all pixels lit

Thanks, it would be great also if you could run that twice, once with 1/2 the pixels on and once with all the pixels on. That way, if we assume the consumption is reasonably linear, we will have a complete power profile.

This is going into a battery operated device so with that info I can calculate how long the batteries will last.

Thanks again,
Joseph

ginvent

Bringing this backup... oled current draw?

Just bringing this topic back up. I want to integrate it into our design, but I need to know the current consumption. They really are NICE looking displays... I am really happy with the intensity and clarity, you guys did an ACE job.

aafflyer

What IS the range of current draw with all pixels lit and the Vbt set to 5 volts?
I'm a software guy and not a hardware guy, but it seems your pretty chart didn't go up to the 5 volts Vbt requested. Since this will be a battery based device where the design may limit him to using 5 volts, can you get the measurments at 5 volts Vbt?

Charlie

ginvent

Are you kidding?

I love the graph, but am I to understand that your datasheet which clearly says the max of Vbt is 5 volts, but you only recommend 3? Where is that printed and how did you arrive at that number? If that is recommended then you must have a LIFE rating to go along with it. Please let us know how many hours these displays will operate at 3 volts.

Luckily I put in a voltage divider so I can adjust that voltage...

I know it is new technology, but if I am going to use this thing in production, I have to know all the details... Like a regular LCD.

CF Tech

Administrator
I think the current datasheet does not have near as much detail as the older version, which does give the recommended Vbt max of 3v.

I have asked the factory engineer to clear up some of this confusion, but that typically is a slow process.