Need to find an lcd

themlruts

Hey i am new to the board
I am building a project for my jeep. I want the outside temp and the road temp on one lcd display. I would also like to have some type of bargraph dislpay for the road temp jsut to see change. I cant find anything do they make something like this or will i need 2 diffetent displays?
thanks
mike
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Outside (air) temp would be fairly easy.

What kind of sensor do you expect to use to get the road temp?

I think auto-parts stores have simple inside-outside temp sensors--have you looked at that? It would be a lot less hassle and expense than building a meter using an LCD.

CF Tech

Administrator
You would probably end up with some sort of microcontroller talking to the various sensors and the display.

Not something we can do directly.

themlruts

How would i get the split screen and the bar graph display? You said before i may need a microprossor. Basic Stamp? I have one laying around. I like the blue
Mike

CF Tech

Administrator
Well, your options are wide open if you have your own micro. It depends on how complex of a project you are willing to tackle.

themlruts

i mean i have some knowlege but not a hole lot. Would it be nice to use my headunit screen. Is this possible? If so how would i go about it?
Thanks
mike

X7JAY7X

You could do the inside temp fairly easy with a microcontroller(basic stamp, PIC, ATMEL, etc). As far as the infared sensor, does that operate on 4-20ma?

J

themlruts

I am not sure what it runs at but i am more worried about the the output to the head unit or a seperate screen
thanks
mike

Dexter

Display on headunit? Like a regular headunit? Highly super doubful. You would need a MEGA hack to do that...

Maybe on one of those video display headunits, but even then, you're getting a PIC or similar mcu and NTSC video display stuff...kinda overkill to display 2 temperatures and a bargraph...

How do you plan on interfacing the IR sensor? I've recently been looking for some to sense tire temperature...

themlruts

i am not quite sure yet my buddy is doing that part i jsut need to find an lcd that will work for it and the driver module for the lcd. Do you think i will need to use like a basic stamp?
Let me know your htoughts on it. How far along are you on the tire pressure thing that could be something i might add special since offroad
thanks
mike

X7JAY7X

basic stamp are kinda expensive, I like the PICs. If you know C++ or assembly, they are not bad to work with. I dont know how else you could do it without a micro.

I have made several projects with these, i.e. serial LCD for smartie(MO compatible), head temps for boats, etc.

J