Multi Coloured LCD backlight

Richard.Banks

Hi,

I'm new here, and this is my first post, so please forgive any mistakes i may make.

My quiestion is: I see the CFA635 is available with white backlight as blue/white and also with yellow/black. Are these the same LCD modules with diferent backlight LEDs or are the LCDs diferent? how easy would it be for me to replace the backlight LED? i ask because the servers i administer at work, made by dell, have small status LCD displays on the front (2x8?) which scroll messages. When all is well they are the normal white text/blue background combo - however, if a fault occurs they switch to an orange backlight, attracting attention immediately. I want to know if it would be posible to connect either 2 LEDs as backlights or alternatively use a bi-colour LED, to add this functionality to the display.

I'm particularly drawn to a Full RGB LED cluster which could then provice any color at will. It should be possible to wire this instead of the bicolour LEDs on the side of the display.

Thankyou for your time answering this question.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
> I see the CFA635 is available with white
> backlight as blue/white and also with
> yellow/black. Are these the same LCD
> modules with different backlight LEDs or
> are the LCDs different?

Just the backlights are different--and some of the driving electronics. And one LCD is positive, the other negative.

> How easy would it be for me to replace
> the backlight LED?

Pretty dang hard, it turns out. We just went through one for a mod and it was pretty ugly. :( Not impossible, just quite difficult.

> . . . if a fault occurs they switch to an
> orange backlight, attracting attention
> immediately

That was our intention for the bi-color status LEDs on the left of the display.

> I'm particularly drawn to a Full RGB
> LED cluster which could then provide
> any color at will. It should be possible
> to wire this instead of the bicolour
> LEDs on the side of the display.

Interesting concept ;) Possible, of course . . . it is mainly just a matter of size, price, complexity, and cost.