Microcontrollers/PIC's

Beers

I'm new to the microcontroller and PIC department, and I am just curious as to what the best product is to get started with microcontroller/CPU/PIC programming would be?

Im looking for the following features:
-Many 8-bit channels (IE: LPT port)
-Serial Comm
-Network (not required, but would be nice)

Can anyone recommend the right platform/chip? I am not sure if a small PIC or micrcontroller or even a embedded linux chip is the right way to go.

Thanks!
-Beers
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

X7JAY7X

I like the Microchip PICs, however some use atmels. Most of the 16F and 18F series PICS have built in USART modules, and many I/O lines. However, I havent seen any with Ethernet.

www.microchip.com

Beers

After a lot of research and pricing, I decided to go with atmel based MPU's. I don't even have my kit yet, but I know they have a lot of power. I have instructions and code to attach IDE HD's and Compact Flash cards, Character and Graphical LCD's, and even PS/2 or AT keyboards. Ethernet is possible with a seperate module, which I will most likely get if my starting experiences with these MPU's is a good experience. :)

Keep your eyes out for some pretty awesome projects... my brain is already coming up with strange (but not necessarily new) projects.

-Beers

X7JAY7X

All that can be done with PICs too, the code is available on the net.

Atmel is a good choice though, just out of curiosity, what kit did you get?