LCD w/ Rheostat, etc

gsmayes

I think I'm finally going to break down and get a serial LCD. I'm looking at the 632 and the 634. I have a few questions about them.

1. How would one connect 2 rheostats to the 632 or 634 to control the contrast and brightness?

2. Does the third party lcd driver software have software control for the contrast and brightness? I see that the Crystalfontz software does but it is not compatible with the lastest version of Motherboard Monitor 5.1.9.1.

3. Does the 634 have keypad control? I was looking at the matrix orbital 4 X 20 with keypad control, but they want $75 for it. That wouldn't be so bad if they weren't charging $15.50 for shipping and handling, what's the deal with that?

4. Any one know of a place online to purchase a DB9F/DB9F serial cable similar to the matrix obital ones. That is, a flat ribben unshield cable that will fit through the opening for a PCI slot.

You help would be great.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
1. How would one connect 2 rheostats to the 632 or 634 to control the contrast and brightness?
Look at this guide

2. Does the third party lcd driver software have software control for the contrast and brightness? I see that the Crystalfontz software does but it is not compatible with the lastest version of Motherboard Monitor 5.1.9.1.
CrystalControl now does support the new MBM.
Only serial LCDs support brighntess and contrast control via software.

3. Does the 634 have keypad control? I was looking at the matrix orbital 4 X 20 with keypad control, but they want $75 for it. That wouldn't be so bad if they weren't charging $15.50 for shipping and handling, what's the deal with that?
No it doesnt... only the 633 does.

CF Tech

Administrator
Rheostats? We don't need no stinkin' rheostats!

If you get one of the serial ones, the backlight and contrast are under software control. There is no need for a rheostat.