LCD shuts off for no reason

Batdive

I gave it a try of doing another fresh install but thought maybe some conflict w/the port I originally had it on.. So I uninstalled CC2 and started over w/it still on COM5 where I left it from the tests. Trying to see if maybe a conflict that was not showing up was present.

Well it ran for about 8 hours w/ no problems then went back to same problem. Reset to boot screen w/CC2 still running and updating.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
An update for you guys...

Im working on new plugins for the 633 & 631 LCD modules that supports some new features.

Due to this, i wont do any further bug hunting in the old version of the 631 plugin (the one you guys are using) for this problem.

Odds are the new plugin will have the same problem when its released (coms code hasnt changed), but it should be easier for me to find and fix.

Batdive

Cool thanks for the update. I'll keep checking back and download that when it comes out, and if it doesnt fix the problem atleast it will help you debug it to find out what the problem is.

jc634

Administrator
FWIW CC2,

I started my machine yesterday, it ran 1/2 hour before both the 631 and 634 screeens froze.

I shutdown, restarted, and removed the 631 from CC2. I started the hammerkeys. I also started CC2 on the 634. Both ran flawlessly for about 8 hours.

I reconfigured CC2 for the 631 (I deleted the 631 ini file to clean it out), added back HW routines, and everything ran great for about 7 hours. Then the freeze came back. It did it a couple times over the next few hours.

This morning, the same thing happened after about 1/2 hour. If I try to reboot, the LCD's do not restart. I have to shut off. If I try to shut off with CC2_Service running, no shutdown. If I shut down CC2_service, I can shut off.

It definitely seems to be a problem with the my 631 only...:(

I am sure you will track down the problem. It will be nice to get past this so that you concentrate on other CC2 features.:)

Jim

RustyMuppet

I am not sure if this is the same problem so sorry if its not.

The 631 in my Shuttle occasionally shuts off (screen goes black) and it also did this with CC1.

I opened the Shuttle to check connections and while moving the connection lead the screen came back on. I have put this down to a bad solder on the mobo connection end of the lead.

If your screen goes off completely then check this. If the background is still lit and you lose text then it is probably not the same thing. From some of the comments I cant work out which problem is occuring.

I am in the UK and am not sure where I can get another lead from :(

reider

RustyMuppet said:

The 631 in my Shuttle occasionally shuts off (screen goes black) and it also did this with CC1.

I opened the Shuttle to check connections and while moving the connection lead the screen came back on. I have put this down to a bad solder on the mobo connection end of the lead.

If your screen goes off completely then check this. If the background is still lit and you lose text then it is probably not the same thing. From some of the comments I cant work out which problem is occuring.

I am in the UK and am not sure where I can get another lead from :(
The 631 does sometimes do this when the screen is refreshed, but the display comes back again. Touching the lead and the display coming back on could therefore just be coincedence. However, if the lead is faulty and shipping would be too much messing then Maplins would probably have the connector-since it is a fairly standard part.

Maplins

Hope this helps,

Steve

RustyMuppet

Thanks Steve - it is definitely the cable for me.

Would you happen to know what the connector type is (or have a link).

Thanks

PS (OT) I use your speedfan screen - very nice. Do you plan to do one for the shuttle utility when its finally finished (assuming its worth replacing speedfan with)?

reider

RustyMuppet said:
Thanks Steve - it is definitely the cable for me.

Would you happen to know what the connector type is (or have a link).

Thanks

PS (OT) I use your speedfan screen - very nice. Do you plan to do one for the shuttle utility when its finally finished (assuming its worth replacing speedfan with)?
No, I`m sorry-both Speedfan and AN Other ideas in the pipeline will admireably cover the 631, without necessitating any other software. We also have some MBM support too. Give it time and you will understand where I`m coming from on this.

Off topic, but the connector is a floppy type power connector. The same as a video card. A search within the site or on the web should reveal the connector though you may have to make the cable up yourself. Alternatively, if you know anyone who is placing an order then you could add another cable to this. Why not place a thread in the forum, then come to a mutual arrangement with someone else-so you can get the cable.

Alternatively, CC might be able to post by some other means-you would need to ask them first, I am not a company spokesperson. Unfortunately, I`ve just placed an order and could have had this added, then posted it on to you myself. If CC read this and have time to do so then please feel free.

Steve

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
RustyMuppet said:
Thanks Steve - it is definitely the cable for me . . .
Write sales(at)crystalfontz(dot)com, tell them you have a bum cable and they will fix you up.

MCT

status?

Any progress on this particular problem? CC1 ran fine for weeks at a time, CC2 consistently (although the time varies from 4-12 hrs) shuts off the display....nothing short of power cycling the unit or rebooting seems to bring it back to life.

thanks.

CF631 USB driver 1.02134.0
latest CC2 updates from that thread

sum1quiet

RustyMuppet said:

Interesting. I have a Shuttle SN45G and a 631 at thats exactly the same problem as im having. Im using the USB cable, plugged into one of my ports at the back.

reider

sum1quiet said:
Interesting. I have a Shuttle SN45G and a 631 at thats exactly the same problem as im having. Im using the USB cable, plugged into one of my ports at the back.
The SN45G allows an internal USB connection directly to the motherboard, surprised you didn`t utilise this. They actually have room for two USB connections internally, plus two at the rear and two at the front as you know. The internal ones are usually less problematic than the external, in practice.

Steve

sum1quiet

My LCD came with the external cable. I have contacted the email suggested asking for a new cable, hopefully I can get an internal one.